Is the best thing to put her to sleep?

CurlyQuail

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I’m sure some of you have seen my threads about Happy, she’d gotten over her bumblefoot but it’s back and worse than before :(

Anyways, I’m indecisive and I don’t want to make a decision I’ll regret. Should I put her down?
  • Recurring bumblefoot, treating with meds from the vet, previously had surgery. I’m almost out of the meds but she’s had them for over a month
  • She’s currently inside with two of her sisters so we can monitor her.
  • Before anyone asks about the setup: she’s never been kept on a wire bottom cage, she was on grass right before this started, right now she’s on paper towels with shavings on to
  • The vet said she had a vitamin deficiency, she’s been getting vitamins in her water since
  • She’s been eating, drinking, walking around, laying an egg a day, but I know they can hide pain. She’s recently taken up plucking her feathers
  • She was one of my first quail, and she’s a pet so there’s an emotional attachment. If I had to put her down, I’d probably get a friend to do it (I’m sure the vet would charge a lot for something so simple)
Any insight would be great, I just don’t want to rush into deciding but at the same time I don’t want to wait and see and leave her in pain. Thanks in advance

I would keep an eye on her. Since she's a pet, as long as her quality of life appears good, I would let her live. When she starts to suffer is when it's time. You'll know it's time when she stops eating and drinking or she starts showing that she's in pain.
Thank you. I had some friends tell me they can hide if they’re in pain so I wasn’t sure if it would affect her behavior

I’m sure some of you have seen my threads about Happy, she’d gotten over her bumblefoot but it’s back and worse than before :(

Anyways, I’m indecisive and I don’t want to make a decision I’ll regret. Should I put her down?
  • Recurring bumblefoot, treating with meds from the vet, previously had surgery. I’m almost out of the meds but she’s had them for over a month
  • Before anyone asks about the setup: she’s never been kept on a wire bottom cage, she was on grass right before this started, right now she’s on paper towels with shavings on to
  • The vet said she had a vitamin deficiency, she’s been getting vitamins in her water since
  • She’s been eating, drinking, walking around, laying an egg a day, but I know they can hide pain. She’s recently taken up plucking her feathers
  • She was one of my first quail, and she’s a pet so there’s an emotional attachment. If I had to put her down, I’d probably get a friend to do it (I’m sure the vet would charge a lot for something so simple)
Any insight would be great, I just don’t want to rush into deciding but at the same time I don’t want to wait and see and leave her in pain. Thanks in advance
Does she still have signs of bumble foot? Is the vet experienced in poultry?

I agree with Nabiki and if I was in the situation I’d want it to live until there’s no other option and keeping it alive would sort of be cruel. In the end putting a pet down is a decision that no one wants to make and it’s very tough. I can’t tell you to put it down or to keep it alive because it’s truely a hard decision that one has to make on their own. I’m sending my love and hope to you! :love :hugs :)

Back
Top Bottom