Sick quail, acting oddly

Bodette

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on sick courtnix quail. I have one male and 2 females. The male is about 2 1/2, the girls nearly 2 years. Last week the male started to look slightly off. He had his eyes shut a lot and seems to be swaying slightly on his legs. He is still like this but seems slightly worse. He has been crowing continually, even at night. Yesterday one of the girls started to look the same. She’s puffed up her eyes are shut a lot and she’s tripping over. Her eyes are red and the lids swollen. The other girl is fine.
They are all eating and drinking normally but not coming for food so quickly. The girl who is fine has always been a loner, but she’s now attacking the other girls. Oddly the male has never been interested in her but now is.
I took them all to the vet this morning and she wasn’t sure. She’s testing their poo for parasites. I have started them all on baytril in case it’s an infection.
They seem to have a low level of lice which I have also treated.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be?
The neighbours are having building works done (which started the same time the male got sick) so I have brought them inside in case it’s dust causing it.
Thank you for your help.

Birds are sensitive to fumes from construction materials so having them inside was the right thing to do plus you can easily monitor and administer medications.

Thank you for your reply. They are still inside but seem to be getting worse. They have only had Baytil for 24 hours so maybe I need to give it longer.
It’s very strange, one minute they seem fine, then they close their eyes and rock over. Their poo came back negative for parasites.

I think I have managed to attach a picture of the 3 of them loose in the kitchen. The dark brown girl at the back is fine, it is the front 2 I am concerned about. The white male was sick first, but seems to have improved sightly. The light brown girl is my main worry. She is sitting like this most of the time, but will then start wandering round and eating happily. In the garden she will walk round and eat for a while, but she is unsteady and falls over. She stope regularly and shuts her eyes and sways. The male is the same but not as bad. He is crowing a lot. Their poop is normal to possible slightly runny, but that may be the baytril. There is no blood in it.
Thank you for your help.

Quails.JPG

You may want to start by separating your healthy one in case they have something contagious. I'm okay with wound treatment, but I have been fortunate enough to not have any experience with disease, so hopefully someone you'll get a better response soon.

You may want to start by separating your healthy one in case they have something contagious. I'm okay with wound treatment, but I have been fortunate enough to not have any experience with disease, so hopefully someone you'll get a better response soon.
Thank you for your reply. I did move her out but she seemed more distressed on her own. i I will take her out anyway, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom