Is the high protein chick feed ok to stay on until lay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Summer98, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    We've been feeding Dumor Chick Starter and now that they are approaching ten weeks, the bag said to switch to the grower/finisher (and layers, of course, when they reach point of lay). But my husband bought another 50 lb. bag of the chick starter 24% protein instead of moving onward to the grower/finisher for 10 week olds. Is this a problem? I wouldn't think the high protein would be a problem, right? As long as they don't get the layers feed too early in life, they won't have health problems.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In my view, continuing to feed most breeds the 24% is indeed too high in protein. I believe it pushes them to maturity too fast. I really like that 24% because it provides great protein and nutrition. But, I'd buy a bag of Grower or Finisher at 14% protein and blend the two. Just me. This blend would dial down the protein to 18%. Or, another option is to feed them scratch as 1/2 their diet. That blend would net you around 16% protein which would also be ideal. Either way.

Now, let's say you're still feeding that mixture and eggs start appearing. Not a problem. That would be a good mix. Just offer some oyster shell calcium supplement on the side and you'd be good to go.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think Fred's Hen has great advice here, right now my daughters silkies are on a grower(its' actually 18%) but their starter was only 20% i didn't know they had 24%? anyways, i know from my ducks you don't want to push growth to hard. Would the feed store allow an exchange?

4. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    The reason it's 24% instead of 20% is because it's for turkeys and chuckar. Even though the bag says "chick starter" with a picture of a baby chicken on it, it's actually for turkeys, etc. Maybe I could mix it with some grower/finisher feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by