Is the malposition of beak away from air cell really that lethal??

Chickinie

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Qld, Australia
Hi,
I am wondering if there is much truth to a chick pipping away from the air cell being fatal? I know that pipping at the wrong end of the egg (flipped around) is apparently not... I have read the assisted hatch article on here. I expected my shipped MGB to have trouble so did my research, as I've had some malpositions of OEG in the past in the incubator.

I noticed with the eggs that didn't develop they have a really thick outer membrane... So I was determined to make sure they can breath when they need to... I knew for certain they would be all over the shop.

Anyway... 1 is hatched; it was positioned ok. There are 5 more in the right position hatching/ internally pipped. One is pipping the other end; it pipped by itself through the shell but I had to slice the membrane. And a few pipped by themselves away from the air cell (on the opposite side of the dip in the air cell). I cut their membranes too. None bled, I only made sure they could breathe. I had to scrape the shell and peel it off of one that was making a weird (really loud) rasping noise; as soon as I broke the membrane an it could breathe it was happy. So I did the same for the others that had the conformed air cells like they were ready to hatch because I didn't want them to suffocate. The thick membrane is good for one thing - finding beaks without bleeds.

One that has pipped away from the air cell is nearly hatched (with assistance). I just listen for their complaining...They all look really healthy so far... I'm making sure I don't rush anything.

Seven out of 13 of my MGB chicks have pipped in the wrong place.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I've come to the conclusion that they are able to hatch quite alright by themselves when the have their beaks away from the shallow dip in the air cell.

But...

IMG_20191001_140522.jpg
IMG_20191001_140610.jpg

Not when they are malpositioned like this!!

Its feet are so cramped (were at the small end, in the point!).. legs twisted, head above wing, beak at feet - not way it could pip the shell.

11/13 chicks hatched in the end.

a lot depends on determining if they are mal positioned and the assistance , here is some good information for you to read on both.

Yes! I have read these.They helped alot! I was confused about the link in the assisting article, about the 'lethal' malposition:
Screenshot_20190929-094444~2.png

They hatched fine like this. I know because I candle them after lockdown.

I don't think is as lethal as it says.

My eggs were incubated horizontally, angled down towards the small end (in slices of toilet roll).

I personally don't see it any more lethal than the others, but I usually lock down between day 15-17, as it gives them a little more wiggle room to get into the correct position. it's funny to watch the eggs look like they are trying to just stretch as they do it too. But I also hatch at high elevation.

Mine are incubated laying down, and watch the air cell to make sure it's going down properly not so much as days. Way I hatch I actually got a small egg from pullet that was it's second egg to hatch out a chick just fine. There is always room for tweeking things depending on your setup and things that can affect hatching.

I personally don't see it any more lethal than the others, but I usually lock down between day 15-17, as it gives them a little more wiggle room to get into the correct position. it's funny to watch the eggs look like they are trying to just stretch as they do it too. But I also hatch at high elevation.

That's what I thought! But I've never experienced it before. I didn't want over half of them dying after they had gotten so far.

I stopped turning on day 16/17 because I expected them to hatch early, which they didn't. Would stopping turning them a bit earlier be better? Can it harm them doing it earlier than recommended? Would a more upright position be better next time?

Have you ever had over half malpositioned?

That's what I thought! But I've never experienced it before. I didn't want over half of them dying after they had gotten so far.

I stopped turning on day 16/17 because I expected them to hatch early, which they didn't. Would stopping turning them a bit earlier be better? Can it harm them doing it earlier than recommended? Would a more upright position be better next time?

Have you ever had over half malpositioned?
Probably had them all by now as when I started hatching besides using the hardest one to do it in had to deal with high altitude and not a lot of people, so my incubation tweeks may or may not work for you personally, just don't get discouraged. I have had between 60-80% mal positions a couple of times learning, what I found was laying down and more towards a dry incubation cleared that up for me, the high ones were when they were in an up position, besides incubator fried the hatches at lock down with the increased humidity

I have stopped turning and upped humidity at day 15 with no problem

Probably had them all by now as when I started hatching besides using the hardest one to do it in had to deal with high altitude and not a lot of people, so my incubation tweeks may or may not work for you personally, just don't get discouraged. I have had between 60-80% mal positions a couple of times learning, what I found was laying down and more towards a dry incubation cleared that up for me, the high ones were when they were in an up position, besides incubator fried the hatches at lock down with the increased humidity

I have stopped turning and upped humidity at day 15 with no problem

Thanks for the info! I think I might try the drier incubation method next time.

Also, do you think that candling can make them disorientated? I found that when I candle them they can wriggle quite violently earlier on in the incubation.

Thanks for the info! I think I might try the drier incubation method next time.

Also, do you think that candling can make them disorientated? I found that when I candle them they can wriggle quite violently earlier on in the incubation.
It could cause issues, Why I check usually at day 10, but if you candle earlier then don't turn the egg around , they don't usually wiggle violently if you handle with care

Back
Top Bottom