is there a better waterer out there?

Quote:
I put ACV in the water and have no mold/slime problems. It is necessary to use a totally opaque bucket for this reason. I haven't noticed any drinking issues with the hens - the water would be just as warm in any other vessel since I'm not home during the day to tend to it. And no, I don't change it more frequently - I checked it frequently at first and with a tightly fitted lid, and thorough cleaning between fillings, the water stays fresh.

Whst ratio of ACV to water do you recommend?

I saw someone once said they use old crock pots,you can find at yard sales and thrift shops... just keep it on the lowest setting to keep ice from forming.
I used those galvanized things too.... shine a heat lamp on it.
For birds in cages, you can get a reptile warmer pad to set under the water bowl.... works great.
For those livestock buckets you can drop a birdbath heater in them.
I think I want to look into the poultry nipples THANKS!! .... we can drop a birdbath heater in that too.

... see! lots of options
smile.png

I was using 1/2 tsp per gallon in my 5 gallon waterer and it still formed algea so I upped it to 1/4 cup for 5 gallons and no algae so far--- poultry nippples .. are they at all feed stores or do you have to special order them

Here is a link to a great home made waterer (it was posted here on the board). https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-waterer.html

The
top instructions and picture is for a feeder. The other picture is of a waterer and the instructions for it is right above the picture. (not the instructions included with the feeder, for a home made water system with the nipples for drinking)

The metal bottom of the waterer and how the person described setting it on blocks and putting something under it, does work.

We made the feeder from the first set of instructions and the waterer from the second set. Both are great.

Simple, easy, not expensive and they work.

I have a 2 gallon bucket hanging with two nipple in the bottom for my five girls. In the winter, I drop a bird bath heater in the bottom of the bucket. If you hang it in the coop or shade you won't have too much growth. It is simple and easy.

Quote:
It's not a leftover bucket, they are sold new for about $2.50, then another buck for the lid. I think the silver color is the most opaque bucket color - even the orange Home Depot ones seem to let some wavelengths of light through.

As for the question about ACV, I use 6 tablespoons each time I fill up the bucket, so a little more than 1 T/gallon.

Unfortunately if you're going to use a galvanized heater you're pretty much stuck with the galvanized waterer--a plastic one will melt. I've used the double waterers for years, only problem is they eventually rust and leak but, given the cold temperatures here in the winter, they are the only way to keep water from freezing. In fact, I have one 8-gallon, double-walled waterer and that will freeze if I fill it to the top even on the heater.

" Unfortunately if you're going to use a galvanized heater you're pretty much stuck with the galvanized waterer"

Not necessarily true. Brower makes poly that can used with heaters. They also make a poly with a heater. Here is like:

http://www.browerequip.com/products/brower/tfounts/index.htm

The down side for me was nobody carried these locally and I didn't have much luck on-line either.

If somebody finds a on-line store without outrageous shipping let me know, cause I am going to buy two.

I have used galvie's for years they work fine and last a long time I just bought a new one and it has a pin on the bottom to lock the second top piece in place, I like this a lot better.

For this winter I am making some fonts with square metal cans ( olive oil, soy sauce, and resturant stuff comes in these ). I am going to use 2 ea. 1 gal cans with nipples, I have not decided exactly how to heat it yet, a 40 watt light bulb in a cinder block is one option, so is heat tape. These are for my breeder pens only, the main flock will get a 8 gallon galvy and a heater.

Back
Top Bottom