Is there a breed that you’ve had that you would absolutely not have again?

Lol, I'm still puzzling here with all the abbrevations too, I just by accident found out AC is Ayam Cemani, come to this forum, and find a ton more to figure out 😆
I really would like people to use less abbreviations too. I have given up puzzling. So sometimes I just dont know what they talk about. :rolleyes:

Another issue is that the breeds in the US often are different from the ones you can buy in Europe. There might even be differences in breeds and colours with the same name.

The companies in the US also sell breeds that are not pure (without saying so). Like the Dutch they sell are often mixed with Old English Game (OEG).

Some differences probably have to do with ‘closing’ the borders for exchanging eggs and birds. Its just too complicated and expensive to quarantine.

Does anyone have any experience with non hatchery birds? I was just thinking that maybe the reason some of these "hatchery" breeds tend to be on the meaner side is because of the way they are bred. Hatcheries tend to focus more on quantity over quality. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have mostly always had hatchery birds so not much experience with heritage or breeder types. Just a thought...... :confused:
Possibly(!) My first flock was from a 2nd grade classroom hatch from a student’s grandma’s farm...all mixed breeds; traits/markings/colorings that came out were a golden comet-ish, a Delaware/Brahma-ish, a SLwyandotte-ish, and an EE. All different levels of standoffish but overall sweet and friendly, consistent layers. My two feed store/hatchery chicks were flighty and always suspicious of me. They were also the first two to get taken by predators so 🧐 🤷‍♀️

I have an incredibly odd Asian Black rooster his name is Peter that I got at tractor supply. He was supposed to be one of three hens but it didn't work out that way. The other 2 AB didn't make it. At the same time I got 2 Barred straight runners who both turned out being Roosters. They are huge, gorgeous, bullies..... They now live at my mother in laws. Poor Peter got picked on to the point he was the little guy in the group... I dont like bullies. Now he has 9 ladies to himself! He loves people.

Attachments

• 20200417_193452.jpg
    20200417_193452.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 2
I had a barred rock hen that bullied everyone and even killed two bantams that were older than her. She was awful! So I don’t get barred rocks anymore.
As for Cochins, the bantam Cochins are wonderful! Mine give themselves lots of dust baths (I provide sand with Diotamaceous Earth and they love it) and they stay very clean... even their feet- my coop stays dry and they don’t stray much at all on free-range days. I also happen to be a weirdo who loves the silkies because they are so soft and cuddly. Mine dust bathe a lot, stay close to home, and come running to me unless they are broody which is easily cured by taking the eggs. My absolute favorite is a polish hen because of how friendly and loving she is. She always wants to be with me, follows me like I am her rooster. Ha! I have Easter Eggers who give me colored eggs and the fun breeds for laughs and pets. It all just depends on why you have chickens and what has worked for you I think.

Black and white Brahma's are so beautiful, but I won't get any more. The feathered feet . . . . .Oh, and I think it's really too hot in my area for them in the summer.

I personally think turkens are butt-ugly! I admit I never had any and if I ever got any in, say, an assortment, that would be OK, but it's not a breed I'd pick and again I admit it's on looks alone. The one breed I'll never have again is Chinese geese. They can be as mean as the devil, especially to other birds.

I wouldn't get Rhode Island Red hens again, even though theyre good layers. Mine just won't get along with any of my other hens, not even my rooster. I actually had to separate them and put them in above ground pen, but now I just let them free range during the day and put them in the inclosed run at night, after the others have gone into the coop.

I have had many breeds and I absolutely would never have Polish chickens again. Their feathers cover up their eyes and they can’t see! I had birds that literally just stood still in the coop all day because they couldn’t live normally without good vision. I cut off their feathers on their heads and they were really ugly but much happier. I’ve raised real Araucanas for the last 15 years. They are nice birds with pretty eggs and good mothering skills, but I would not advise them. They have difficulty breeding and the eggs are quite small. Rocks are very nice birds. If I was advising a newbie to chicken raising, I would recommend them.

I have an adoption bunch from Meyers (Easter egger Jersey giant polish etc) and now 2 brahma and 1 lavender Orpington

I’m just curious if there are any breeds that you would stay away from and why

I know for me I wouldn’t raise silkies again just because they need special accommodation (roosts etc) and didn’t seem to be part of the flock.
I got two white Campines thinking they would be good candidates for free ranging considering they can run pretty fast, can fly a little better than most chickens (get away from predators if needed) and I heard their eggs were very good too. I put my chickens up at night and let them out around noon because I see hawks mostly in the morning around our house. Those Campines are louder than any rooster I could have wanting to get out to free range. I live in a neighborhood and purposely don’t get roosters so we don’t make noise. We named them Salt and Pepper after the famous rappers (and their black/white speckled colors). The other problem is they fly over the backyard fence with ease to wander and scratch up our front yard. Luckily they haven’t ventured to the neighbor’s yards yet. They have done quite well against predators though. They end up in highest places if a dog or coyote get near. They are super alarm callers if hawks are over head for the others to hide. The eggs are small dense and flavorful.

Back
Top Bottom