Is there a chicks anonymous?

Happy hen lover

Free Ranging
Jan 14, 2021
SW Nebraska
Ok I have gone off the rail this year:
First had one hen die past year, so you can't get just one!?! So that turned into 2= ( which minimum is 4 -1 culled=3)
Next my original flock was supposed to have 6 not 5 so I need another breed right?
Another 4 (hoping they get me some Calif whites in leghorn bin)
I've always wanted a blue egg layer of some kind so now we need to build on to house all these. So 2 extra's is now 7!

Well now my broody hen hears babies so she's goes broody on me so I'm wondering if I go to other farm store ( which has NO minimums ) get a couple new chicks could that break her? Hmmm :wee :bow
So we get there and what do my wandering eyes behold?
Aracaunas for $3.99! Well my honey comments on how cool those chicks look , so out comes the transport box and clerk and I dive in to get a good selection. Before I know it I have 4 fuzzy butts in a box( I came here cause no minimums right) . So now my let's add 2 more has turned into an additional 11!!!
Now I'm telling myself some might die or be roosters needing re-homed! :gig
Hello my name is Helen and I AM a chicken addict!

Welcome Helen.

I posted this on another thread, but it sums up my chickening. Edited to update numbers.

I don't have a problem. I only had 3 hens, so I got 3 chicks last spring. I only have 6 chickens. I don't have a problem.

I have three songs I sing to the chickens. There's the "Good Morning, Chickens" song, the "Chickie Snack" song, and the "Goodnight Chickens" song. I sing them every day. I do not have a problem.

When my chicks were little last summer, I made an enclosure outside the brooder and sat with them. I told them that they were "safe with momma." Nope, don't have a problem.

Of course, they all have names! What kind of question is that? Yes, I can tell the three black ones apart! You got a problem with that?

What do you mean, you think chickens are ugly? They're beautiful! What's your problem?

First had one hen die past year, so you can't get just one!?! So that turned into 2= ( which minimum is 4 -1 culled=3)
Next my original flock was supposed to have 6 not 5 so I need another breed right?
I've always wanted a blue egg layer of some kind so now we need to build on to house all these. So 2 extra's is now 7!

Well now my broody hen hears babies so she's goes broody on me so I'm wondering if I go to other farm store ( which has NO minimums ) get a couple new chicks could that break her? Hmmm :wee :bow
Aracaunas for $3.99! Well my honey comments on how cool those chicks look , so out comes the transport box and clerk and I dive in to get a good selection. Before I know it I have 4 fuzzy butts in a box( I came here cause no minimums right) . So now my let's add 2 more has turned into an additional 11!!!

Your post reminds me of this old funny! :lol: Congrats on the additions to your flock!

chicken math.jpg

I feel for you. A very similar thing happened to me. A desire for 4 livestock hens for eggs turned into 19 new pets. Chicken math is real!

You sound like me now, I started out to go pick up 7 and brought home 14. It's ok, you will enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom