Is there a feather growing under my hens eyelid?? (Pictures Included)

I got it out! It was definitely a fox tail type thing, I got her secure and it came right out with tweezers. I wrapped her up in a towel and had someone hold her for me. She didn't really move or make any noise when I pulled it out.

How the heck did that thing get in there?!

THANK YOU EVERYONE! 🙏

Attachments

• photo_2022-05-27_22-19-32.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_22-19-32.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo_2022-05-27_22-19-33.jpg
    photo_2022-05-27_22-19-33.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 6
Foxtails are nasty things. They only move one way because they are barbed, so they basically burrow in where ever they get stuck, and they don't back out. They have to be manually removed. It can cause serious issues sometimes, infection, abscess, even death depending on where they go. I would try to figure out where any are growing where the birds have access and keep that mowed, or otherwise try to get rid of that grass type.
Here's one article on foxtails and dogs:
https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/foxtail-grass-and-your-dog
And another short one:
https://www.petsfriendsunnyvale.com/foxtails

I got it out! It was definitely a fox tail type thing, I got her secure and it came right out with tweezers. I wrapped her up in a towel and had someone hold her for me. She didn't really move or make any noise when I pulled it out.

How the heck did that thing get in there?!

THANK YOU EVERYONE! 🙏
Nice job.
I would monitor the eye to see if the swelling goes down. If needed, you may need to flush with saline and remove a discharge for a few days. If irritation persists, flush well and apply an eye ointment.
Think if you had something in your eye like that, removing it is the first step to healing, but you may need to tend to it/follow up with care for a few days afterward.

Nice job.
I would monitor the eye to see if the swelling goes down. If needed, you may need to flush with saline and remove a discharge for a few days. If irritation persists, flush well and apply an eye ointment.
Think if you had something in your eye like that, removing it is the first step to healing, but you may need to tend to it/follow up with care for a few days afterward.
Great advice, I kept her inside one more night after removing it and the next morning her eye looked 10x better. I let her back outside the next day and its been doing great ever since. Today you cant even tell anything was wrong so I'm super grateful to catch it early before it got really bad. Thanks again!

Great advice, I kept her inside one more night after removing it and the next morning her eye looked 10x better. I let her back outside the next day and its been doing great ever since. Today you cant even tell anything was wrong so I'm super grateful to catch it early before it got really bad. Thanks again!
Glad to hear she's better!
Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom