Is there a generally acceptable level of humidity?

yickenscarf23

Songster
Oct 24, 2018
Indiana
In the midst of emotional turmoil the other day after my chickens were killed I put every single egg I had in an incubator from Rural King. It is a still air incubator. There are three thermometers in there and the temperature stays around 100-101. The difficult part is every single post I read seems to suggest a different level of humidity. The first day it was crazy high and I had to mess with it a lot but now it holds steady at 30%. I know it should be increased when (if) they begin to hatch. Are there any general rules to this or do people just kind of figure out what works for them? Not finding concrete numbers has just been frustrating. They are long shots anyway because they've been in the fridge and have been washed.

Thank you!

In the midst of emotional turmoil the other day after my chickens were killed I put every single egg I had in an incubator from Rural King. It is a still air incubator. There are three thermometers in there and the temperature stays around 100-101. The difficult part is every single post I read seems to suggest a different level of humidity. The first day it was crazy high and I had to mess with it a lot but now it holds steady at 30%. I know it should be increased when (if) they begin to hatch. Are there any general rules to this or do people just kind of figure out what works for them? Not finding concrete numbers has just been frustrating. They are long shots anyway because they've been in the fridge and have been washed.

Thank you!

Humidity can be depended on the humidity of your area. For me my eggs seem to hatch best at 30-40 percent. It helps the air cells get smaller and do the draw down.

Okay perfect. Those are the numbers I was hearing the most. the manual that came with the incubator said to keep it at 55 and I was reading here a lot of people said that was too high.

Thank you!
I keep mine between 35-45 til lockdown then between 65-75

Oh no. I candled the babies (19) out of curiosity. Day 4 and they are ALL thriving so far. Very visible veins and a lil dark baby on one. We um...we're building the new coop bigger.....:th

Back
Top Bottom