Is there a solar automatic chicken door?

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Coons have been having a hay day. Lately, I have been shutting the chicken door at night. That has worked. However, sometimes a person is out late, or gone over night. I was wondering about those automatic doors, but I don't have electricity to the coop.

So do they have solar? Do they work? Are they predator proof?

Yes, I have one. It has a linear actuator arm (much more secure than a draw-string type.) Unfortunately I bought it online from an unreliable person that sells many of these. It is made of cheap components from China. The wiring didn't hold up (it's corroded the whole way through) and the photocell broke twice now. Yes, they make them, but best luck getting one with a better return policy than the one I got! The person I got it from is mrinnovation2008 on ebay. In theory it's a great pophole, but the components didn't withstand being outdoors! Also, do you live in a sunny area? If the answer's no, you might consider running some underground cable. You could even do low-voltage by adding a transformer and stepping it down to 12v. Since the solar popholes are already designed for 12v, this would be really easy. Also, low voltage wiring is very easy to install, and you would still have the option of running it on solar in the summer.

Hubby installed a system for auto pop door for me this summer. I love it, but it's not without it's glitches. I recommend that you run electric to your coop (can even do so with a construction grade extension cord). Or you could buy the standard model, and buy a separate solar panel to hook it up to.

I have the Automatic Chicken Coop Door sold at Fleming Outdoors. It is the drawstring type. It runs on electric with a battery backup. Works with just the batteries, but they have a solar setup to use also.

Yes, I have one. It has a linear actuator arm (much more secure than a draw-string type.) Unfortunately I bought it online from an unreliable person that sells many of these. It is made of cheap components from China. The wiring didn't hold up (it's corroded the whole way through) and the photocell broke twice now. Yes, they make them, but best luck getting one with a better return policy than the one I got! The person I got it from is mrinnovation2008 on ebay. In theory it's a great pophole, but the components didn't withstand being outdoors! Also, do you live in a sunny area? If the answer's no, you might consider running some underground cable. You could even do low-voltage by adding a transformer and stepping it down to 12v. Since the solar popholes are already designed for 12v, this would be really easy. Also, low voltage wiring is very easy to install, and you would still have the option of running it on solar in the summer.

Sorry to wake up this old thread but I am another customer that regrets buying from mrinnovation2008 on ebay. I wish I had seen your message before i purchased! I bought an automatic door opener with light sensor last summer. In the first month the light sensor broke trying to adjust the sensitivity (the dial broke off, rendering it useless). after I replaced that out of pocket the system worked for 8 more months til it started acting erratically last week. Now it looks like it needs a new power supply and the seller refuses to stand by their product. Buyer Beware!

Coons have been having a hay day. Lately, I have been shutting the chicken door at night. That has worked. However, sometimes a person is out late, or gone over night. I was wondering about those automatic doors, but I don't have electricity to the coop.

So do they have solar? Do they work? Are they predator proof?

I have one. My coop is brand new. I'll take some pics and look at the brands tomorrow. It's two parts though, the automatic door is powered by electricity. The solar setup allows you to not have to run an electric line to the coop for power. Both are definitely a luxury.

So i was having the same problem. I closed the coop every night and opened it every morning. And there are certain times of year that sunrise and sunset just aren’t reasonable times times with little girls. When they all line up at bedtime and sunset it can feel a little overwhelming to get it all in in a safe amount of time. I installed this jvr coop door in March and it’s really been so so. It opens the door consistently every morning but i have to encourage it closed at night. I am guessing half my problem was installation related as our current hen door and run set up did not allow for the recommended distances described in the manual. That and it was freezing cold and i just needed to go it up there. Looking into cutting a new hen door on a different side of my 12x12 barn and installing it to spec before i decide if it’s good.

Attachments

• 80D93833-821D-45E0-B5DF-CCBA841E4EBA.png
    80D93833-821D-45E0-B5DF-CCBA841E4EBA.png
    227.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom