is there a solution i can put on my silverlace polish's head that will make his crest grow back fast

iliv4chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 29, 2013
my SLP wasn't left alone with Dumpling and Biscuit always pecking a certain place on his crest. so he had a bad red bald spot. I separated him, and the feathers came back very slowly. then when they got big enough, I put in with him a ''nice'' hen, and she didn't peck him..... until a couple weeks later!
barnie.gif
so he was back to being bald. I did it again, and when I went up there last night, Twinkie had pecked all of them off again! you couldn't even tell, before she pecked them, that there was a bald spot there. there was no red, or anything that would cause her to peck there! but what could I put on his bald spot to make it grow faster? red pepper? and what caused her to peck them?

Is he your only polish. Silkies and polish often get picked on because of their mild nature & their wild crests are too interesting (I imagine) to other breeds and they pick them bald. Maybe you could divide the coop/run with some wire fencing and keep polish isolated or with others of his kind.

No, i have one other full bred polish roo, and many crossed with polish. That explains why he is so shy and lets the hens eat him!
heres a pic of him with his bald spot.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Like drumstick diva said, polish and silkies and other crested breeds often get picked on by other chickens. You could try putting Pinless Peepers on the chickens you put him with, sometimes they help. You can try spraying him with Blu Kote or something similar to make the feathers look less attractive, they also make a spray called something like Hot Pick to stop feather plucking, but need to be careful with it on the head since you don't want it in the eyes. But you will probably just wind up having to separate him.

what are pinless peepers? where could you find them, Wilco, Union Mills? would you be able to find hot pick at the same place? and are they cheap?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Try the suggested methods of correction. Once started such behavior towards crested birds can be difficult to curb.

Back
Top Bottom