Is there a way to sex Poults

Shellyg

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
Dubbo Australia

HI guys very new to Turkeys. Infact this pout is my first one LOL.. I was given 2 Turkey eggs by a friend of a friend any way I popped them in the bator with a batch of ducks and well only one of the Turkey eggs was fertilised and Wala! I am really hoping that this little poult is a tom (there is a tiny lump where the snood would be). Is there a way to tell at this age and does anyone know what breed he might be?

TIA

based on what I can see of the wings, I think you have a little girl there. You can feather sex turkeys when they are young and it is fairly accurate. There are a few videos on line on how to feather sex.

Thank you Chknoodles.. I suspected female based on how I feather sex my Australorp chicks. But as this is my only poult (and the egg was a random gift) I was hoping for male so that I could just turn him into a magnificent pet :)

Thank you Chknoodles.. I suspected female based on how I feather sex my Australorp chicks. But as this is my only poult (and the egg was a random gift) I was hoping for male so that I could just turn him into a magnificent pet :) 

Sorry to hijack but do you find feather sexing them works fairly well? I've got a day old australorp I was thinking of trying it with but couldn't find if it's a breed it is successful with.

Back
Top Bottom