Is there ANY chance Waffles is a girl?

LadyWitcher

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
This is Waffles (Buff Orpington)... s/he is 6 weeks old and was purchased with a couple others from MyPetChicken as day old babies. They were all supposed to be female, but Waffles has been bigger and more developed from the JUMP. I'm a first-time chicken owner and sent pics to the website but their folks don't think I can call it one way or the other just yet, but is there really ANY chance I have a pullet here?

If not, have any of you had luck with the no-crow collars? I'm not supposed to have roosters in my neighborhood, but if the collar works, maybe I could manage to keep Waffles? I'm very fond :)

Attachments

• Waffles 6-Weeks a.jpg
    Waffles 6-Weeks a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Waffles 6-Weeks b.jpg
    Waffles 6-Weeks b.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Waffles 6-Weeks c.jpg
    Waffles 6-Weeks c.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 15
I'm going to guess cockerel, but I'm not that good at sexing, so don't quote me. :D I don't use anything on my roosters, because I live in a area with no neighbors. Good luck!:) :welcome
I've definitely been conflicted about the collar idea...I hate to give him up as I'm very fond, and would worry about how he fares in a new place, but I also don't love the idea of collaring him :( Chickens, man...they'll break your heart!

I've definitely been conflicted about the collar idea...I hate to give him up as I'm very fond, and would worry about how he fares in a new place, but I also don't love the idea of collaring him :( Chickens, man...they'll break your heart!
I know right!? You could just leave him be and see if he stays quiet on his own. Or you can try and google it or something.

Waffles is ridiculously cute. And a fella.

I have a boy who was supposed to be a girl. He is NOT quiet, but I can have as many roosters as I want out here. The collar absolutely did not work for us. At all. But others have had better luck.

I will also say that, for a time while we were waiting to move in to our current house, we were staying in town. The neighbors complained about my rooster, so we brought him inside. Worked great! He stopped crowing incessantly (but he still crowed), calmed waaay down, and had pretty good manners as he toddled around the house.

He's back out with his girls now, but I kinda miss having him around the house...

Back
Top Bottom