Is there any hope GRAPHIC PIC

Granny Hoffman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SE Michigan
This little one just hatched a couple hours ago and where the umbilical was attached was still a little red. The other chicks were pecking mercilessly. I removed the chicks that were dried and fluffy. But I am wondering if there is any chance for this little one to survive. Seems to be doing well for now, but if there is no chance I will put it out of its misery.
Thanks in advance for the help.

63578_img_1032.jpg

Judy

Hi Judy, what a bummer. I'd leave it in the incubator alone for a while, or at least sectioned off. That way it can dry and perhaps the bleeding will stop. Since it's from the umbilical cord, you might try stopping the bleeding with some cornstarch and give it some water and food, given that it has no more yolk to absorb now.

Don't waste your time. It doesn't appear like it's going to make it. You need to put it out of it's misery

Judy, that looks like intestines, unfortunately. I would say that the chick probably won't make it, but if you want to give it a little time, I don't think it is in any pain. Keep it warm and dry on a soft cloth and see what happens over the next few hours.

So sorry....
hugs.gif

I had almost the same thing happen. My little chick could'nt walk either. I left it in the inc. for a day. Nothing, it dryed but never was fluffy. So i read forums saying not to wash them, so I did'nt listen, I made sure the water was 100 degrees and washed it, then towel dryed it. For 2 more days i left it in the inc. On the third day I put it in a small box so it had to stand. I woke up the next morning and LUCKIE was walking around, i was shocked. It took time but she got stronger. Shes smaller but very luckie. The reason why she lived was I couldnt figure a way to kill her so what i did worked.

Back
Top Bottom