Is there any reason I cannot put this in our temp coop today?

riverchicks

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
So, I went out to our brush pile and picked out a nice branch for the girls to roost on. I took off all the bark, it was kind of nasty and I would like to put this in our temporary coop for my ladies. The wood is damp. Is it okay to put this in there now or should I wait for it to dry out? There were some signs of damage to the branch from insects, or what have you. However, I did not see any critters while removing the bark. I want to jazz up the space now! We currently have our girls in a chicken tractor in the garage. It is not safe to have outdoors and the hubby has not completed the new coop yet. The ladies are 6 1/2 weeks old and only a few will go upstairs in the coop to roost. They do like to sit on the feeder, waterer and the lip of the cat box filled with sand for dusting. Our small roost we had in the brooder box is too small for all 16 gals. What say you? Should I wait or can I toss it in today? This seems like a silly question, but I'm fairly new and everyone seems to avoid anything damp like the plague. It will likely have to rest on some of the shavings. Thanks for the help!
frow.gif

throw it in, if there are insects on it the girls will enjoy finding them anyway, if its a thick branch i drill a few holes all over the branch about half inch deep and an inch wide and fill it mixed corn, fruit and veg cut up and other bits they love finding it, I would really reccommend it.

Last edited:
I like that idea a lot and will use that in our permanent run. Unfortunately the chicken tractor is really hard to get into in order to refill the holes. BUT, maybe I can send my kids in there! Yes, I like that idea!

Just make sure it's going to be strong enough to hold all of the birds once it dries out as you know they will want to roost on it all at once, all bunched up and hopping around jokeying for the best spot LOL.

Back
Top Bottom