Is there any way around this?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Hi, this is the codified ordinance regarding Chickens in my town. Is there any way around this?

(a) No person shall keep or maintain any horse, cattle, swine, sheep, poultry or other livestock within the City.

(d) The maintenance of such animals hereafter shall be an offense against the public health and safety of the City and the residents thereof and constitutes a public nuisance.

But then it goes on to say:

(e) This section does not apply to a person exhibiting such animals at a public show, parade or public institution.

Brahmapooter, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Otherwise, I would just show them out in a public parade or something and be done with it...

Thanks for the links, My coop and chickens will definitely be hidden in an out of the way place, I was really trying to find out if there was a way to make the chickens legal under these laws, rather than trying to sneak around them.
D.gif

:) sometimes its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Get the birds, keep em quiet, make friends with your neighbours, and get elected to change those silly rules.

the rules were all created for the smell and noise that existed 100 years ago when they didn't keep cleanliness standards we now keep

Quote:
Yes, thats the tactic I'm taking anyway. Brought the girls, hope they are quiet, got the nice neighbors on board, and am trying to get the law changed. On the TV interview I made the same point that you did above, about the old rules and why they were there, and that isn't what we are talking about here and now.

Sustainable local food/food security are the buzz right now, and governments are having to listen to it. Get on that bandwagon! Victory Gardens are coming back, for good reason, backyard flocks are a part of all of that. Find out more about the backyard chicken movement in the US, Canada, and UK, and make your local officials understand that they are healthful, logical, and beneficial to their communities.

you could build a train of cages on wheels, dress a trick dog up in a tu tu, train it to walk on its hind legs, wear a clown outfit and drag your chickens around the block every day while you bang a drum and toss confetti. I think that would count as a parade.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom