Is there anything else except Sevin Dust?

Chick_a_dee

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Peterborough, ON
I live in Ontario and we cannot buy Sevin Dust without a pesticide license here. While I'm not convinced my chickens have mites, it is still a possibility and I was wondering if there was something other than Sevin Dust or DE that works effectively in getting rid of mites that isn't a pesticide that I could pick up at the co-op or TSC, or order online.

Hi Im still new to this site and chickens but I read about dust bathing and using the old ash from the wood stove. Not a 100% sure. Haven't tried it yet but will save the ash for next year. Good luck Scotty
fl.gif

I have used AG lime. I buy it by the bag at our co-op
and dust their coop floor in between laying freshwood shavings.
I also use it to cover dead birds before I bury them.
I also sprinkle it around the coops to keep the
bugs away Ask your local co-op and tell them what you want to use it for.they will help. and its not expensive as DE.

There are a number of chemicals available in the US, but I'm not sure about Canada; you'll just have to check.
I'll just list a couple:

Malathion
Pyrethrim (available as a spray for dogs: works fine)

Personally, I use Spray Deet. It is available here at Walmart or any hardward store. I think the trade name is Deep Woods Off. It is the best thing on the market as far as I'm concerned. Just don't get it in their eyes!

Nothing against the post from the Tennessean but Ag Lime will not keep bugs of any kind away from anything. It is for balancing the ph in the soil. It will help keep smells down though.
saladin

One more thing about the Deet. Regardless of what others may tell you it will not hurt your birds. I've used it for several years now. I keep around 400 to 500 chickens year round; sometimes more, sometimes less. I use the Deet on them all twice a year. saladin

Back
Top Bottom