Is there currently a recessive white version of the Silkie?

Quote:
Hi, nicalandia, (Thanks for replies go to nicalandia and Henk.)

o/o is the gene that Quinn wrote of in the 30s. It was a plumage gene, at the time, that was common in the Silkies unless Quinn was a kook which I don't think he was. He was just someone trying to describe what he was seeing genetically in a certain group of chickens.

I decided to ask if the plumage gene was still extant by using the same nomenclature that he did which was "iiCCoo." I thought folks like you and the other participants of this thread (donrae, Sonoran Silkies, Henk) would already know about it (or its demise) since Quinn's work has been mentioned "elsewhere" a few times.

Quinn claimed that "pp" (referring to plumage in the 30s, not pea comb) was a new type of "Recessive White." Hutt later referred to it as "rs." (Hutt made no attempt to discredit Quinn's work, so I have no reason to suppose that Quinn was wrong at the time to use "iiCCoo.") Since I've never bred Silkies, well, except to see how their setting/brooding skills are, I am clueless as to what their genotype is. In addition, they are quite different from many breeds with their Fm, crest, mutated feathers (said with respect, of course), blue earlobes, etc. So, since I'd never heard of "o/o" myself prior to a few years ago, I figured I'd better ask before skipping a step by not test mating with Silkies.

Quinn used iiCCoo Silkies when doing his test matings. Quinn, interestingly enough, used "iiccOO" to indicate the genotype of the White Plymouth Rocks and White Wyandottes that he also used to test matings. So his description of Silkies was not a typo; it was intentional.

Thankfully, it would seem, o/o is no longer in Silkies (based on the reactions in this thread to my question), so now I don't have to use Silkies for my test matings.

Since I've never bred Silkies, well, except to see how their setting/brooding skills are, I am clueless as to what their genotype is. In addition, they are quite different from many breeds with their Fm, crest, mutated feathers (said with respect, of course), blue earlobes, etc. So, since I'd never heard of "o/o" (plumage version, I know the current egg shell notation) myself prior to a few years ago, I figured I'd better ask before skipping a step in test mating.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong about the following:

If I use c/c chickens to test for Recessive White, I can use homozygous c/c, i+/i+ White Plymouth Rocks and/or White Wyandottes and/or even White Orpingtons. Right? I can skip test matings with White Silkies, right? Because all current White Silkies are all c/c, right?

Thanks so much!

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong about the following:

If I use c/c chickens to test for Recessive White, I can use homozygous c/c, i+/i+ White Plymouth Rocks and/or White Wyandottes and/or even White Orpingtons. Right? I can skip test matings with White Silkies, right? Because all current White Silkies are all c/c, right?

Thanks so much!
some of this c/c birds do carry dominant white too, so to be 100% sure I would do a test mating to a normal bird that does not have c/C+

The only dominant white in silkies is from paint breedings. No dominant white in pure silkie that does not come from paint. Now I will say that a number of years back there were some red pyle silkies, and that was probably dominant white. I had some, and neither I nor the lady I got them from was ever able to produce red pyle males, so not quite sure what the actual genetics were. I was very novice to breeding and knew almost nothing about genetics at the time.

Also, I have never heard of Quinn. Do you have any references to his works?

I'm not sure about linking to other sites here. However, if you were to do a regular generic web search using terms "Quinn" "pp" "recessive white" ... when I do it at least ... I end up with one of his papers as the first option.
hu.gif
Hopefully, that will do the trick for you, too.

Back
Top Bottom