1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there danger in salting stairs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goochgirl, Dec 26, 2010.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I wasn't sure what section was appropriate. I was afraid of the other chemicals, so I just got plain rock salt. I'm going to have to salt at least my stairs leading out of the house.
    i'm worried about the girls eating it when I let them out to play. Will too much kill them? What about the neighbors using calcium chloride? Can that kill my girls if they eat it?? TIA

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes if they eat the salt and they will, it will harm them and possibly lead to death from sodium overdose, salt is toxic to chickens in large amounts and they won't have to eat as much as you think, as far as your nieghbors go [​IMG] .

AL

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, I had to switch from salting to sanding during the winter months because the chickens went right after all those little pellets. They still eat the sand, but it's a whole lot better for them than eating the other de-icers. It's a mess to clean up in the spring, but...the chickens are worth it.

Good luck.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sand only. Don't use cat litter even, it's clay and will clog their crops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by