Is there something better?

GoldenGalsNC

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
North Carolina
We got our first chickens about a month ago....4 gals who are currently 4 months old. I have just been buying the "Start and Gro" feed that is sold at our local farm store, with the intent of switching to "Layer Pellets" in another month or so. I think the brand feed they sell there is "Southern States". I also give my gals kitchen scrap, stuff from the yard and I let them wonder around when I can. So, is that a decent brand of food? Could I do better buying items in bulk in making my own mix? Anyone else in the central NC area out there have tips on sourcing healthy and affordable chicken feed?

You'll never get the same quality nutrition for the same price by trying to mix your own. You probably don't have the ability to do an analysis of your mix. It is well known what vitamins, minerals, amino acids, energy and fat that chickens need to be healthy. That is in the bag in the correct ratios. Not too much, not too little.

Agreed. My favorite feed store has an economy feed that is exactly the same as their more expensive store brand. The only difference is: Economy feed is in a plain bag. It does not have the advertising hype of the other feed. And it is $2/bag cheaper. The only way I found out about it was to ASK if they had any cheaper feeds available. IMO, the most important factor when buying feed is this: How fresh is it? If it's older than 6 weeks old (check the mill date) it is well on it's way to becoming rancid with the nutrients of the feed degrading.

Back
Top Bottom