Is there something wrong with this chicken egg

ChickenObsession

Songster
Jul 5, 2018
Here is some pictures of my hens eggs she's been laying her eggs at the barn so I just saw this yesterday she is a Easter Egger please look at these pictures and let me know what you think
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg

Attachments

• 20191105_104123.jpg
    20191105_104123.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 1
Are ALL the eggs like that or just one? If it's just one, I wouldn't worry too much. Is she a new layer? Sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks for new layers to work the kinks out of their system. The wrinkled shell could be from calcium deficiency (do they have calcium shell available on the side?) or just a weird fluke of the day, when the egg traveled down the oviduct it had a hiccup. I have one layer who has occasionally laid eggs like that when she was feeling extra stressed out.

Have you noticed any sneezing recently in any chickens? Look at this link number 5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Infectious bronchitis tends to cause a lot of abnormal eggs. IB is a respiratory virus which may cause sneezing and congestion for about a month and tends to affect many chickens in a flock. But as you can see there can be other causes.

Once in awhile I get an odd egg. I put it in with the house eggs and I eat it. I also sell eggs so I won't put an odd egg in a carton for my customers. I have few hundred birds.

She's only a little over than a year old she was and seems to be very healthy she just is starting her molt she loves to free-range every day and decided to start laying her eggs at the barn I do not see any signs of stress she seems very very happy and I have not noticed anybody sneezing I have been putting lots of cayenne in there feed though that's different I've been doing that for a couple months because they had worms also the summer I treated them with corid a couple times but it's been several months and after the cord I noticed her eggs were not as green they got more pale and I was wondering if her egg color will come back I was wondering if I should give her a multivitamin or something I bought some poly VI Sol to give my chickens without iron but I really don't know how much to give them could this be a vitamin deficiency

Are ALL the eggs like that or just one? If it's just one, I wouldn't worry too much. Is she a new layer? Sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks for new layers to work the kinks out of their system. The wrinkled shell could be from calcium deficiency (do they have calcium shell available on the side?) or just a weird fluke of the day, when the egg traveled down the oviduct it had a hiccup. I have one layer who has occasionally laid eggs like that when she was feeling extra stressed out.
I just found two so far from her

the only kind of stress I can think that they were in was I kept them locked up in their run and chicken house for a couple days when I was out of town a few days ago usually they free range and she goes and lays her eggs at the barn so she's really attached to that and when I close them up and they're run and house she can't go to the barn that's the only thing I can think of and in their run there's not very much light because it's covered with tarps there's some light but it's pretty dark still but it was only for a couple days did you see what I said about the cord and the cockatoo see OSIS I can't pronounce it this summer I treated them twice I'm not sure if they really had if they were really sick or if they got into something like elderberries but I went ahead and treated them but I'm worried that she might be vitamin deficient and I'm wondering if I should give her vitamins

It sounds like perhaps she was feeling stressed by the change in routine and not being able to get to her favorite nesting area. "Coccidosis"?

It can't hurt if you want to give her Nutridrench as a treat for extra vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom