Is there something wrong with this chicken egg

ChickenObsession

Songster
Jul 5, 2018
Here is some pictures of my hens eggs she's been laying her eggs at the barn so I just saw this yesterday she is a Easter Egger please look at these pictures and let me know what you think
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg
20191105_104115.jpg

Attachments

• 20191105_104123.jpg
    20191105_104123.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 1
I'll see how it goes I know where her nest is at the barn so I'll keep checking on her could someone tell me how much polyvisol I could give my hens if they have a vitamin deficiency
I saw the amount recommended for wry neck a few weeks back but it was here in BYC forums so you should be able to find it fairly easy. @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock may know the amount?
Maybe it's the feed change since they may have different calcium added.

If chickens are on a balanced all flock or layer feed, they usually do not need an extra vitamin. But if a vitamin is used, why not use a poultry vitamin with the proper amount for chickens? I don’t understand why people jump to an expensive baby vitamin, unless that is all they have at home, since baby vitamins are not the best for chickens. Vitamins should only be used for the specific need or deficiency for a period of time. Poultry NutriDrench is a good one, and if riboflavin for leg problems is needed, Poultry Cell is just as good. Those do have electrolytes, and should not be used more than a few days. Poultry Booster for the feed, and Vitamins with Lactobacillus for the water by Rooster Booster have vitamins and minerals. Many of those are less or the same price as baby vitamins. Some poultry products now contain probiotics. For those who want vitamins without electrolytes, Durvet has this one:
upload_2019-11-7_8-13-3.jpeg

Are ALL the eggs like that or just one? If it's just one, I wouldn't worry too much. Is she a new layer? Sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks for new layers to work the kinks out of their system. The wrinkled shell could be from calcium deficiency (do they have calcium shell available on the side?) or just a weird fluke of the day, when the egg traveled down the oviduct it had a hiccup. I have one layer who has occasionally laid eggs like that when she was feeling extra stressed out.

Are ALL the eggs like that or just one? If it's just one, I wouldn't worry too much. Is she a new layer? Sometimes it takes 4-6 weeks for new layers to work the kinks out of their system. The wrinkled shell could be from calcium deficiency (do they have calcium shell available on the side?) or just a weird fluke of the day, when the egg traveled down the oviduct it had a hiccup. I have one layer who has occasionally laid eggs like that when she was feeling extra stressed out.
I just found two so far from her

Have you noticed any sneezing recently in any chickens? Look at this link number 5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Infectious bronchitis tends to cause a lot of abnormal eggs. IB is a respiratory virus which may cause sneezing and congestion for about a month and tends to affect many chickens in a flock. But as you can see there can be other causes.

She might be stressed. How old is she? New layers often take a while to adjust.

One of my new layers just laid one like that, it was only her second egg. Her first one was thin & near transparent, then a thick rumpled up looking huge egg. I guess she's still working the bugs out of her plumbing.

Y'all are going to scare the OP with all of that. Young chickens often lay eggs like that, and even my older girls do. I'm not saying it's not some illness, but the chances that it's just stress or a odd egg are quite high, and not some horrible sickness.
Just keep an eye on her!

Back
Top Bottom