Is there something wrong with this chicken egg

I read that as the hens get older, their egg colors can lighten up some. I’ve noticed this happening with my brown egg layers... not sure whether it applies to other colors, but since green eggs are blue shelled plus a bit of brown color over the blue, I would think the same would apply.

As to the wonky shape, I’ve had some of those but haven’t worried about it since I have lots of new layers. I’m not sure whether just two weird eggs is anything to be very concerned over, though.

If chickens are on a balanced all flock or layer feed, they usually do not need an extra vitamin. But if a vitamin is used, why not use a poultry vitamin with the proper amount for chickens? I don’t understand why people jump to an expensive baby vitamin, unless that is all they have at home, since baby vitamins are not the best for chickens. Vitamins should only be used for the specific need or deficiency for a period of time. Poultry NutriDrench is a good one, and if riboflavin for leg problems is needed, Poultry Cell is just as good. Those do have electrolytes, and should not be used more than a few days. Poultry Booster for the feed, and Vitamins with Lactobacillus for the water by Rooster Booster have vitamins and minerals. Many of those are less or the same price as baby vitamins. Some poultry products now contain probiotics. For those who want vitamins without electrolytes, Durvet has this one:
upload_2019-11-7_8-13-3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom