Is there such a thing as a bantam Olive Egger?

HeidiEmbrey

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Florida
Hello, I'm looking for a bantam chicken that will for sure lay green eggs. Risky to get an easter egger but I may do that and just chance it :) Are there other bantam chickens that lay green eggs? And are Olive Eggers a new breed? Are bantam Olive Eggers available anywhere? Thanks :)

I've never heard of an actual breed of olive egg layer, LF or Bantam. You could cross Bantam CLB with Bantam Welsummer and possibly get a green layer

I saw your other thread so I'll answer both here.
Olive eggers aren't a breed. They're a cross breed with one parent being a blue egg layer and the other a dark brown egg layer.
I haven't seen any and not sure what kind of dark egg laying bantams are around. I've heard there are bantam welsummers.
I have hatchery sillies and mine don't lay anything close to a pink egg. Mine lay a slightly off white eggs. They lay about every other day when they're laying. Mine are kinda seasonal. They lay very poorly half the year and the other half lay fairly well but go broody 2 or 3 times a year.
I had some bantam Ameraucana. I won't debate the Ameraucana vs Easter egged debate. They were hatchery stock. They were really neat little hens. Friendly but yet crazy acting at times. All laid very pretty blue eggs and laid almost daily during peak season. They also went broody 1 or 2 times a year.would recommend them for your situation for sure.
Now if you can find bantam welsummers you could get them for a darker brown egger. They might even lay speckled brown eggs. My LF welsummers sometimes do.
Get some bantam Ameraucana and if you can find bantam welsummer you can cross for bantam olive eggers. Or find someone already doing that or that would for you if you don't want to breed or can't have roosters.
You can also cross the Ameracauna with any brown egg laying bantam for green eggs.
Only breed I've ever had that laid what is call a pink egg was a bantam buff Orpington. You can ask around to see if anyone else has or has had them and see what their experience has been with their egg color. If they end up more brown then pink they could still be used to make green eggers.
Hope that helped some.

I saw your other thread so I'll answer both here.
Olive eggers aren't a breed. They're a cross breed with one parent being a blue egg layer and the other a dark brown egg layer.
I haven't seen any and not sure what kind of dark egg laying bantams are around. I've heard there are bantam welsummers.
I have hatchery sillies and mine don't lay anything close to a pink egg. Mine lay a slightly off white eggs. They lay about every other day when they're laying. Mine are kinda seasonal. They lay very poorly half the year and the other half lay fairly well but go broody 2 or 3 times a year.
I had some bantam Ameraucana. I won't debate the Ameraucana vs Easter egged debate. They were hatchery stock. They were really neat little hens. Friendly but yet crazy acting at times. All laid very pretty blue eggs and laid almost daily during peak season. They also went broody 1 or 2 times a year.would recommend them for your situation for sure.
Now if you can find bantam welsummers you could get them for a darker brown egger. They might even lay speckled brown eggs. My LF welsummers sometimes do.
Get some bantam Ameraucana and if you can find bantam welsummer you can cross for bantam olive eggers. Or find someone already doing that or that would for you if you don't want to breed or can't have roosters.
You can also cross the Ameracauna with any brown egg laying bantam for green eggs.
Only breed I've ever had that laid what is call a pink egg was a bantam buff Orpington. You can ask around to see if anyone else has or has had them and see what their experience has been with their egg color. If they end up more brown then pink they could still be used to make green eggers.
Hope that helped some.

It helps immensely! Thank you so much, I've been trying to figure out the differences between breeds heritage breeds and crosses etc..
So far highest on my list are a cockoo ameraucana , the bantam silver araucana, and a bantam easter egger ...
how rare do you think these are? what are my chances of finding them I wonder.. and do you think these are healthy hearty birds or very fragile? Thanks again! This group is fantastic <3

I made an olive Egger bantam in my backyard by crossing one of my black tailed buff Japanese and a Blue Wheaton Easter Egger Bantam. She just started laying. :love 6C909410-8D6A-47AF-8DB1-C2A3E945ED91.jpeg 71D79152-6B52-409E-8001-73E267AE98A8.jpeg

I made an olive Egger bantam in my backyard by crossing one of my black tailed buff Japanese and a Blue Wheaton Easter Egger Bantam. She just started laying. :loveView attachment 1416807View attachment 1416808
I got a bantam EE from Meyer hatchery that looks almost the same as yours. Laid a dark green olive egg for yrs, now that she's about 5yrs her eggs are more just green. Must be her paint maker is running out of tint as she is aging :lol:

I'm guessing by crossing a Welsummer bantam with an Ameraucana (true Ameraucana, not Easter Egger) bantam, your results would be Olive Eggers. :) Seems like Welsummers are the darkest-laying bantam out there, plus AMs are the only known layers of dependably blue eggs. Too bad miniature Marans don't exist (at least, not that I'm aware of).

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom