Is there such a thing as a nice Goose???

jesusonhi

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Every Goose I have come across is terribly aggressive! I had a male Chinese Goose that tried to kill me even after I raised it. I now have two Goslings, a Tufted Roman and a Pomeranian, both are females. I must be a glutton for punishment but I really would love to have a nice Goose, just once!

Thank you. The little icon that was mentioned, I don't have one of those. Not sure why so I am unable to post a photo. Boo !!!!

Are you on a phone or tablet? I find I can't post pictures from my tablet, only when I'm on my computer. As for your original question, I use to have geese as a kid and they weren't really friendly or aggressive either way. But we hatched one ourselves when the eggs in the nest kept getting broken, and that one was like a puppy. It always attacked my mom when she was hanging washing but that might be because she was always shouting at it. Otherwise it followed us everywhere. When it was little it used to sit on my head when I was swimming, and once it was full grown it still tried to ride on my head every time I swam. He was really very sweet.

That will be so cool.  And Lucy will be a great auntie, it take a gaggle to raise goslings:) .

Lucy would be grandma, she is Laverne's mother. Lavernw decided she wasn't ready I guess. She jumped up when Lucy and Leonardo were mating and as far as I know still hasn't been back on them. GRRR I'm about to put a door on their house and lock her in.
1f606.png
just kidding.

Every Goose I have come across is terribly aggressive! I had a male Chinese Goose that tried to kill me even after I raised it. I now have two Goslings, a Tufted Roman and a Pomeranian, both are females. I must be a glutton for punishment but I really would love to have a nice Goose, just once!

Here in Fort Collins, CO we have a large population of non-migrating geese that have an easy-going temperament. They were originally bred to be live hunting decoys, and the original population here were hand-raised by someone working for the CPW (Colorado Parks & Wildlife). Somewhere along the line they became tame and non-migrating. Details can be found here: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/life/2017/03/06/father-goose-fort-collins-goose-population/98640248/

These geese end up nesting in problematic areas sometimes and I'm sure the CPW culls the population occasionally. It might be worthwhile to see if you can get unwanted eggs from them.

(P.S. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. There seems to be a running joke that Canadian Geese are the spawn of Satan, but I've never run across a mean goose here. I did a search on the subject and your post came up. Hope this helps.)

Female geese are not as aggressive as ganders can be, unless they have goslings or are defending their nest. But that is only natural and we shouldn't slight them for that.

Spend as much time with your 2 goslings as you can and always be gentle they remember any one who isn't nice to them. Just like we remember when people aren't nice to us.

How about some pics. @jesusonhi

I am not sure how to insert a photo. I have a cute photo of the twirplings when I first got them not long ago.

Back
Top Bottom