Is there such a thing as too ragged?

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
Most of my chickens look like they need a good molt, but I don't think I want to try inducing one? One of them has very thinned out feathers in a lot of places, like the skin around her crop is all featherless. Sometimes when I touch her there the skin kinda sticks out a bit.

I'm also not sure what feathers normally look like around the vent?

My question really is; what is too ragged? At what point should I suspect a problem?

I had seen lice before, and gave them lots of DE in their dust baths. I looked around her really quick but didn't see anything. They would object to thorough inspection though, I'm not sure how to handle them in a way that keeps them calm enough to do something like that?

That does not look normal to me...the skin looks very red. I am no expert but I would suspect something is not right.
I would make sure they are treated for lice and mites, I use scalex
I would also make sure they are on a good chicken feed with lots of protein. I use chick start and grow and then provide egg shells and oyster shell on the side for them to eat as needed.
Good luck with your flock.
smile.png

No don't induce a molt. They will come in molt later this year.

To me it looks like she has either been sitting or walking through something sticky. Have there been broken eggs in nests?

Oh I tried to give her a bath too... Her legs are a little wet ;0 im glad you guys know what you're looking at! There are almost no feathers on her crop area and where I imagine there should be feathers there are redder spots. I will try to inspect them more tomorrow with the fiancés help. and I will google what mites look like..

I tried to take a pic of her bum, they aren't fans of being manhandled. There was poop on her bum feathers so I tried washing them off, that's why she looks wet!

Last edited:
I cleaned their coop recently and didn't add DE to the bedding, this might be a factor... Poor mamas ;(
It says mites don't always live on the chickens but come out at night to bite?

Back
Top Bottom