Is there such thing as a dud hen?

angelfishfan

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Snohomish, Wa
I have an Ameraucana hen that is not even two years old that is a crappy egg layer. She has never really been consistent, always has been few and far between in matters of egg production. The most I have ever gotten from her is three, maybe four eggs a week, and that wasn't very long. sometimes she goes weeks or months without laying. Otherwise she is a normal chicken, doesn't have mites or anything. The other 20+ hens lay just fine, and I know she is the one NOT laying because she is the only EE in my flock. She is not in molt, and as of right now she hasn't given me an egg in almost 2 months. My hubbs is about done with giving her chances, so she will be dinner soon unless someone has some suggestions.... if its time, its time.
She mostly free ranges and gets layer pellets occasionally. She has oyster shell free choice. As I said I have 20+ hens in my flock, and three roosters. She has had this laying seldom thing always, so this is not a new thing. I just was under the impression that Ameraucanas are good laying birds.

yes there are Dud hens My very first EE lays 3 eggs a week if I am lucky...the other 4 EE's lay almost every day...both my Ameraucana hens lay almost daily as well.... But mine eat fermented layers crumble...oystershell on demand and scraps along with free ranging the backyard daily......all of mine are pets so I keep my Dud for the pretty robins egg blue eggs...but if you are not attached then I guess chicken broth time may be near....unless she is a great boody hen

Last edited:
Are you sure she is not laying out in her range area?
Maybe lock them all up for a few days to a week?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

She was penned up in the coop/run all fall and winter with very few if any eggs. I use supplement light and everyone else has been laying. They don't free range every day but several times a week, and I scour the yard for possible eggs. She is about a year and a half old, not a new layer. My flock is coop trained to lay in the boxes. If I find an egg in the yard, 99% of the time it's from one of my ducks.

Of course there can be birds who have reproductive issues, infertility happens in all species. Feel free to cull her if you're production oriented.

I
I have an Ameraucana hen that is not even two years old that is a crappy egg layer. She has never really been consistent, always has been few and far between in matters of egg production. The most I have ever gotten from her is three, maybe four eggs a week, and that wasn't very long. sometimes she goes weeks or months without laying. Otherwise she is a normal chicken, doesn't have mites or anything. The other 20+ hens lay just fine, and I know she is the one NOT laying because she is the only EE in my flock. She is not in molt, and as of right now she hasn't given me an egg in almost 2 months. My hubbs is about done with giving her chances, so she will be dinner soon unless someone has some suggestions.... if its time, its time.
She mostly free ranges and gets layer pellets occasionally. She has oyster shell free choice. As I said I have 20+ hens in my flock, and three roosters. She has had this laying seldom thing always, so this is not a new thing. I just was under the impression that Ameraucanas are good laying birds.
I have a chicken similar to this, except she only lays a few months every year and is very thin. She’s had some egg obstruction issues in the past as well. But she’s only three so I guess she’s a dud?

Back
Top Bottom