Is there such thing as a NON-GMO bird

Show me your proof. There is no reason for them to use steroids to get the kind of growth they get naturally.

WOW, been away for a few days and see I got slammed. (And for good reason) :oops:

There is no proof. I was just going by what I have been told all my life and believed without doing the research for myself. Which I have been doing since reading R2elk's reply. Thanks R2elk for opening my eyes.

Now I got to do some research on those CX's.

WOW, been away for a few days and see I got slammed. (And for good reason) :oops:

There is no proof. I was just going by what I have been told all my life and believed without doing the research for myself. Which I have been doing since reading R2elk's reply. Thanks R2elk for opening my eyes.

You might look at these (in order, it is one video). This corrected my thinking on some of the things commonly believed about Cornish X.

Last edited:

You might look at these (in order, it is one video). This corrected my thinking on some of the things commonly believed about Cornish X.
I appreciate those videos, thanks.

I'm always trying to learn and figure out the "why" to common beliefs or misconceptions. There is always a reason for everyone's different opinions. Research is a wonderful thing.

Brings me to an interesting article I came across one time (buried in the member pages among a zillion others that aren't very helpful at all).
@Briani and anyone else... this offers another perspective and really is worth reading:
Raising Cornish X for meat- The TRUTH

What is your actual goal here? That would help. Do you want meat for your family? To sell? To be self-sustaining? Or avoid chemicals?
I would like meat and fresh eggs for my family. Mostly self-sustaining and most of all the least amount of chemicals possible

A CX we raise 9 of them a few years ago... why do you ask?

At what age did you butcher those Cornish X? By two months is pretty normal. With dual purpose breeds they are often butchered at an older age because they grow so much slower. That means if you butcher them really young like the Cornish X (which some people do) there is very little meat there so you may be disappointed in the amount. If you wait until the put on more weight the hormones of puberty can add some flavors to the meat, especially the cockerels. Some people like that, some people hate it.

Also as they age the meat gains texture. You can turn any chicken of any age and any sex into a gourmet meal, but the older they are the more restricted you are in how you can cook them and not turn them into leather.

It happens on here a lot. People that are only used to the chicken from the store or a restaurant/fast food place are used to eating Cornish X butchered at a very young age. When they taste our chicken with the additional flavor or experience the texture of an improperly cooked older chicken they just don't like it.

If you decide to got the dual purpose route I suggest that you sort of ease into it. There may be a learning curve in how to cook them but don't over-commit until you decide it is for you. I'm glad you had the experience of raising your own Cornish X so you have them to compare with. At the end of the day you may see why many people consider the Cornish X the "best" meat bird. You can make an honest comparison.

I would like meat and fresh eggs for my family. Mostly self-sustaining and most of all the least amount of chemicals possible
I agree with @Dona Worry on this one. My up thread suggestion about finding a local homesteader who's got free range dual purpose birds would be the next step if you're dead set on not buying in feed, but the most efficient approach will be to start with a flock of DP birds (I like Brahmas and australorps), selectively breed the ones best suited to your program, and eat the cockerels who won't become breeders.

Back
Top Bottom