Is there such thing as a NON-GMO bird

Well my thoughts are (and I'm no scientist) a broiler chicken isn't a normal chicken. In about 8 weeks they are almost too big to walk. So in 5-6 months how could they lay a egg to hatch? My thoughts are that is a GMO bird? I don't know just my thoughts? And I've been wrong before. I would just like to get back to something close to what God made.
The cornish cross are bred to be a meat bird, they would only become gmo if they are fed gmo feed. We have raised our first flock for butchering this year. We feed them organic and believe me, I will never go back to store bought chicken. They are delicious.

The cornish cross are bred to be a meat bird, they would only become gmo if they are fed gmo feed.
That's not how it works. If you want "organic" chicken, then yes, you will want to feed "organic" feed. However, the point of feeding organic is to avoid any residue of pesticides or herbicides that have been used on the plants that make up the feed. For instance, some genetically modified plants have been designed to be resistant to roundup, so that farmers can control weeds easily by spraying roundup over the entire field, thus killing everything except the crop.So, if you have feed that, for example, contains corn that has been sprayed with roundup, the supposition is that the feed may contain residue from roundup, thus getting that into the meat or eggs. Eating GMO corn does not change the genetic makeup of the chicken, that sort of thing happens in the laboratory only. However, once an organism has had it's genes modified, those "new" genes are then passed on to it's offspring.

That's not how it works. If you want "organic" chicken, then yes, you will want to feed "organic" feed. However, the point of feeding organic is to avoid any residue of pesticides or herbicides that have been used on the plants that make up the feed. For instance, some genetically modified plants have been designed to be resistant to roundup, so that farmers can control weeds easily by spraying roundup over the entire field, thus killing everything except the crop.So, if you have feed that, for example, contains corn that has been sprayed with roundup, the supposition is that the feed may contain residue from roundup, thus getting that into the meat or eggs. Eating GMO corn does not change the genetic makeup of the chicken, that sort of thing happens in the laboratory only. However, once an organism has had it's genes modified, those "new" genes are then passed on to it's offspring.
Maybe I said it wrong, but I was trying to say what you are saying. The chicken itself is not GMO, but by the chicken eating GMO food and then me eating it...I might as well eat the GMO food myself.

How do you know if the organic food you buy is non-gmo? i thought the govt. only certified HOW and not WHAT was grown organic.

Ok so next year I'm wanting to get started raising meat birds. But I don't want a GMO bird.... And while I'm on the subject of Non-GMO, what is a great Non-GMO egg layer....

There are no GMO chickens, either broiler-fryers or laying hens. If some one has told you otherwise be very very careful about any thing else they say.

The rules and regulations under which NON GMO CROPS are produced allow NON GMO PRODUCERS to employ any pesticide that they care to if it means that they can save their crop by doing so. But the general public is not told that.

There is even a new GMO Orange juice in the pipeline that employs a smidgen of DNA from the spinach plant. This orange juice can eliminate OJ producers needing to spray their orange orchards 10 to 15 times per year with deadly insecticides. Which do you prefer, GMO Orange juice with a tiny bit of DNA from the spinach plant or gross amounts of deadly insecticides sprayed on oranges to control greening disease? If you say the latter then you really don't care about the environment or about a safe food supply. Are you also going to stop eating spinach because it is now being incorporated in GMO Orange juice?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015...trus-greening-southern-gardens_n_7244858.html

So I guess trans gender bathrooms are OK but some people do want trans gender foods!

Few things.
1. As mentioned, GMO only applies to plants, not animals. Thus, no GMO chickens exist; only selective breeding. If you have a cat or dog, they are selectively bred also. They're not wolves or African Wildcats; therefore they are selectively bred.

2) GMO is not bad for you. It has been proven that Genetically Modified Organisms have no negative effects on humans or other animals who ingest them. Eating GMO feeds and Organic feeds do the same thing for you. They feed you, they give you nutrients. The only difference is the quantity produced. GMO foods typically produce in larger quantities. And, as aforementioned, GMO feeds were created to make it easier for farmers to spray their fields for weeds. Really, GMO is no big deal. The public is just scared of big words. It's the dang show all over again that happened with MSG. Nothing bad there, all it did was enhance flavor.

3) If you're looking into meat birds there is not a single one that exists that even closely resembles the first chicken ancestor that evolved on this planet. I don't care what breed you use. Unless you're using a Junglefowl it won't even get close to making the cut.

4) Pick a domesticated breed that serves you well. If you want REALLY good meat production and moderate egg production, choose a Brahma. We're talking 12lb males and 9lb females. If you want better egg production that is more well balanced with meat production choose an Orpington, Australorp, Dorking, or Jersey Giant. The hens produce well and the males get pretty decently big.

Best of luck and remember:
GMO and Selective Breeding are NOT the same things. Think Wolf vs Dog.

-Cyprus

Back
Top Bottom