Is there truly a BLUE egg?

Too true, which is precisely why the breeders with the darkest eggs can ask and receive huge amounts of money for hatching eggs!
@cake lady hen lover here is the chart for color comparison for Marans eggs. It is worth visiting the BCM thread on BYC just for interest!
View attachment 1509468
It seems like most of us move around in the 3 - 6 range. But how about those 7 - 9 colors?? Extraordinary, yes?
Those 7-9 range eggs are extraordinary! Wow, much coveted I am sure. Why am I such an egg dork, always seeking out the crazy hard to find colors?!?

Why, I settled on local sub par Marans and local CCL for OE projects.
I suppose that those really, really dark 7 - 9 eggs would make a really odd OE color anyway! :hmm Also, seeing as how that kind of pigmentation on those 7 - 9 eggs must really take some work on behalf of the hen, would that mean that she would not lay as often?

I suppose that those really, really dark 7 - 9 eggs would make a really odd OE color anyway! :hmm Also, seeing as how that kind of pigmentation on those 7 - 9 eggs must really take some work on behalf of the hen, would that mean that she would not lay as often?
Would think you'd need a good strong blue shell to 'take' the dark brown coating.
Opacity may be an issue with the darker brows, a good blue might not show thru anyway.

Not sure about the the darkness of coating relating to the frequency of laying,
2 different aspects I would think, the coating may fade sooner<shrugs> .
Marans aren't the most prolific layers anyway, either are Ameraucanas.

CCL seem to be ok layers, 3-4-5/week, I only have one hen, so not sure long term.
They are tiny little things, the Marans cross is good for adding some heft.

Sorry to divert your thread @cake lady hen lover....
@oregonkat and I can go on and on about our BCMxCCL crosses.:oops:

X2! Yes @cake lady hen lover, I'm sorry too!..... and I'm going to do it again!
My CCL lays pretty well, 5 out of 7 days, med size egg. I am interested to see how big the new crosses eggs get. So far, still pullet sized.
My adult BCM hens are currently laying very large sized eggs. 65-69grams a piece!! As are my SLW, SS, RIR. These others are laying as big as 71g! I am putting it all down to them being super healthy, I hope!! This has been going on for a while now.

I agree with Perris. Color perception may be something affecting your "blue egg" search. I find my EE's eggs more blue than green. I would love to have a couple of olive eggers for the green! Chicken math is catching up to me. I'm buying 4 Delaware hens with a rooster! I'm out of room now! Here's some of my eggs.

Saturday eggs small.jpg :frow

Nope, I'm totally with you! I love colorful eggs! I had some Sage Eggers & Ameraucanas that hatched out of that last batch. I am really looking forward to some blue & light green speckled eggs, you know some time next spring. :lau I think the prettiest blue egg I ever saw a photo of was from a Whiting True Blue.
Those 7-9 range eggs are extraordinary! Wow, much coveted I am sure. Why am I such an egg dork, always seeking out the crazy hard to find colors?!?

Back
Top Bottom