Is this a black breasted red modern game bird?

kayri

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
RI
Hi I got Ruby and Rosy form someone who told me they were black breasted red modern game birds? Or red, blackbreasted modern game birds. If that is right I don't know why, they certainly aren't black breasted and they aren't really red either. Does anyone know what they are?

2974_img_0984.jpg

2974_img_0985.jpg

Edited to add: Also, because I'm bad at the picture thing, I uploaded some pics earlier, very proud of myself for dong so, but now I can't find them and it says I can't upload duplicates? Where are my pictures living? How do I get to them? I hate to be so computer illiterate.. . .

Last edited:
Definitely not a leghorn. Maybe an american game. Not a modern game as they have very long legs and an upright carriage.

Last edited:
I don't think I would have guessed leghorn- we had a little flightly white one for a while, and these are not like her at all.

Thanks Cthrash1. Is that a picture of your phoenix cross OEG? She looks like mine. Although mine have green- willow colored legs. I don't think her tail is much longer than Ruby or Rosie's. Is that coloring a black bresated red?

Hi KAYRI. Your hens are Black Breasted American Games.They name the color because of roosters black breasts.In game breeds roo present the breed.

Quote:
Yes that is mine... She past on over rainbow bridge this last Fall. Got sick and just couldn't shake it even with antibiotics... I believe the mother was a BBR Am Game and the father was a Pheonix.

Quote:
Thanks ve, pardon my ignorance but is the American game bird different than the modern game bird? Are they red, black breasted or just black breasted? I don't know why I want to know, I guess just curious. . .

I would say she is definitely most likely a American game over a OEG (which only have white legs), and a Modern game (which should be much taller, refer to feathersite for photos). But even then, she just seems like she could be a Indian red junglefowl as well, she looks identical to the two i purchased from Ideal 7-8 years ago.

Is the American game different than the Modern? Yes, in carriage, temperament, history, etc.

ETA: Black breasted red (BBR, BBred), black breasted, red black breasted (all depends how people word it, though black breasted red is the correct name and black breasted can refer to other colors as well), should all look like this.
BBRcDougPierson1stCTb.jpg
BBRp2HeatherHayes1stPTb.jpg

Birds are OEGB's, taken from http://www.bantychicken.com/cgi-bin/OEGBCA/index.cgi?action=showhtml&id=varitiemain. They're not my birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom