Is This A Buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KyCouple, Oct 8, 2009.

1. KyCouple

KyCouple Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    This is my first post and I am very excited to be here. Me and my wife received 4 baby hens that were suppose to be buff orpingtons, but I think they may be white orpies. They are only 5 weeks old and are covered in feathers. However the only color other than white is from dirt. We did get a 6 month old buff rooster who is already in the coop, we were waiting to transfer the young ladies when they could be away from a heat lamp. They are already pretty good size, there is a pic below. Is this a buff or a white? Thanks for the advice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Looks white to me, but it also looks like a rooster.....that's a really big comb and wattles to only be 5 weeks old..... [​IMG]

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Doesn't look like a buff orpington from the photo - yellow beak...what color are the legs? Very Roo.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The beak looks white to me and so does the chicken. I would say definitely not a buff orp. Can you post a full body pic so we can figure out the breed?

5. KyCouple

Oct 8, 2009
    The legs appear to be somewhat yellow as well. They're legs are a little bit darker than their beaks. Of the four chicks two have red cones and the other two have light colored cones not nearly as big. Thanks for your help trying to figure out what they are. We got them from tractor supply and they were all supposed to be buff orpington pullets.

6. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Sounds like it may be two boys and two girls then.

7. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Orps also have white legs not yellow. These maybe a cross? Not sure but at 5 weeks I vote that's a rooster.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm hoping I'm wrong, but judging by the sharp curvature of the beak and wide skull width, I believe that bird may be a Cornish X (meat bird).

9. KyCouple

Oct 8, 2009
    Here is a full body pic of one of the ones without a red cone. Sorry for the dirtiness, need to give them a bath again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG]

And Cornish X (Cornish Rock, broilers, meat birds) it appears to be!

Well, on the bright side...they'll be delicious in a few more weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by