Is this a Cat Print??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bleenie, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I was keeping my eyes open when i headed out to feed the cows this morning and spotted this big print in the snow. Wondering if it's a cat print? Bobcat? I am sure not Cougar since they're way bigger. Second picture is the dogs print for comparison.

Bobcat Print??
    [​IMG]

Dog's Print:

[​IMG]

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    I would say no. It's a dog or in that family. The first pic shows claw marks in the snow. When cats walk their claw are not out.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:x2

They look like the same animal, just that the second print is fresher than the first print.

4. Mervin

Mervin Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    x3

The pads don't look like a feline either. It's hard to explain, but the main pad should have lobes in the back and not be concaved.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Scarlets been inside so it must have been a Coyote... I totally spaced on the claws being out. okay so coyotes are normal. I was just worried that stupid cat might be back after the birds. Thanks guys [​IMG]

6. Indeed cats walk with their claws retracted and wont leave claw impressions in their tracks. Although the cheetah in the only cat that has non-retractable claws. So yeah its probably a cheetah.

7. Caincando1

Caincando1 In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Dog or maybe a wolf. It's hard to explain but a coyote track makes an X in the middle of the void between the pads.

8. Karrie13

Karrie13 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:X 2

9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    If you were on the other side of the state, could be a wolf, but likely on that side.....a dog

10. lcoil79

lcoil79 Hatching

Jun 11, 2010
    I would like to second the cheetah suggestion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by