Is this a cockerel or a pullet? Ameraucana or EE?

Ceracv

Hatching
Aug 22, 2021
We bought 45 chicks in mid March. Half were oliveeggers and half were ameraucana (so we were told). anyways this is my first time owning chickens and I was convinced this was a hen because there is no waddles and a very small comb. having a hard time finding much about them online. the thing is this one crows along with a few others that look similar. I read that sometimes hens can crow like a rooster but they're driving my father in law crazy as they leave closer to his house on the property. I named her Betty white but is it actually Billy? please teach me to tell the difference..

65136257774__5980B9BA-32A9-40D5-AC0B-75C436245760.jpeg

We bought 45 chicks in mid March. Half were oliveeggers and half were ameraucana (so we were told). anyways this is my first time owning chickens and I was convinced this was a hen because there is no waddles and a very small comb. having a hard time finding much about them online. the thing is this one crows along with a few others that look similar. I read that sometimes hens can crow like a rooster but they're driving my father in law crazy as they leave closer to his house on the property. I named her Betty white but is it actually Billy? please teach me to tell the difference..

View attachment 2807737
Yes, that is an Easter Egger that should be called Billy. :) From my understanding, this coloring is very typical of rooster EEs. Billy is quite beautiful! 😁

Easter Egger cockerel - gender is based on red wing bars and pointed saddle plumage. :) The beard gene suppresses wattle growth, so he'll never sport large ones. He also has a pea comb, which is one of the smallest, most inconspicuous comb types regardless of gender.

And as for breed, true Ameraucanas appear in select few recognized varieties, and this isn't one of them.

View attachment 2807737
Male Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom