Is this a cockerel?

At ten weeks, sickle feathers are still too short to be visible except for parting the tail feathers and looking at the emerging feathers. Usually a sickle feather will be noticeable as the only curved feather emerging from the straight ones.

If your photo is of a cockerel, it's too soon for slender saddle feathers to be visible, so looking for a sickle tail feather might give you the advanced notice you crave.

Cinnamon queen pullet.
Bingo. It appears different hatcheries are labeling different Red Sexlink mixes as Cinnamon Queens which is confusing. This bird however is a Silver Laced Wyandotte x Rhode Island Red which is the Cinnamon Queen mix used by at least Hoover. The other birds shown in the thread are Red Sexlinks and perhaps another hatchery's mix that they are also calling a Cinnamon Queen, just without any Wyandotte. Regardless, this bird is still a sexlink and a pullet. Males would be a white-ish color similar to more common sexlink mixes. Hope this clears up some of the questions I'm seeing!

At ten weeks, sickle feathers are still too short to be visible except for parting the tail feathers and looking at the emerging feathers. Usually a sickle feather will be noticeable as the only curved feather emerging from the straight ones.

If your photo is of a cockerel, it's too soon for slender saddle feathers to be visible, so looking for a sickle tail feather might give you the advanced notice you crave.
Thanks I will have to do t
Bingo. It appears different hatcheries are labeling different Red Sexlink mixes as Cinnamon Queens which is confusing. This bird however is a Silver Laced Wyandotte x Rhode Island Red which is the Cinnamon Queen mix used by at least Hoover. The other birds shown in the thread are Red Sexlinks and perhaps another hatchery's mix that they are also calling a Cinnamon Queen, just without any Wyandotte. Regardless, this bird is still a sexlink and a pullet. Males would be a white-ish color similar to more common sexlink mixes. Hope this clears up some of the questions I'm seeing!
I got all of them (12, 3 each from 4 diff breeds) from TSC and I know one of them was cinnamons queens but I assumed the brown and white ones were the queens. Not sure what some of my other breeds are, I can’t remember lol. But good to know! Thanks for the info

All of them were supposed to be pullets btw but one of my GLD’s ended up being a rooster so now I’m questioning all of my other girls with a slightly redder or larger waddle and combs than they’re counterparts lol

Thanks I will have to do t

I got all of them (12, 3 each from 4 diff breeds) from TSC and I know one of them was cinnamons queens but I assumed the brown and white ones were the queens. Not sure what some of my other breeds are, I can’t remember lol. But good to know! Thanks for the info
Hoover's that TSC typically goes through also carries Red Sexlinks that are called ISA Browns and Golden Comets. They're most likely one of those two!

Back
Top Bottom