is this a dumb question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by goldenchic, Nov 20, 2009.

1. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    i keep hearing people say there roosters are going to freezer camp, does this mean they r going to eat them? is this possible i thought you could only eat hens

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Yes, this means they're going to eat them.
    You can eat hens and roosters, just the older they are, the tougher they may be.
    When I had so many roos back last spring, I took them to a processor on halves and
    they were delicious! Only about 4 months old though, so not tough at all.
    Crock pots and pressure cookers are great for those older/tougher "campers". [​IMG]

3. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    A CHICKEN IS A CHICKEN [​IMG]
    WHEATHER hen or rosster there both chickens and can and will be eaten [​IMG] [​IMG]
    when you buy a chicken in the store are there a hen or a rosster [​IMG] this is the question [​IMG]

there the same a chicken iz a chicken ..........roo or hen.......... chicken iz chicken taste sooooooo GOOOD

ALAN

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    both can be eaten and it depends on how old the roo is the older the togher and same with hens.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I think for someone new to raising chickens and someone that is trying to learn as much as they can its a valid question. This is why many hesitate to ask questions, people might laugh at them or think they are stupid. I personaly think any unasked question is stupid.

To the OP ask away, thats one of the reasons BYC was developed.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    the op and i were talking via pm and they are wanting to leran as much as posable. if you have any other Q's ask away [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This thread has been cleaned up.

Please help new members learn by not making fun or otherwise posting inappropriate answers in a jeering manner. None of us were born knowing everything about chickens and until you can prove otherwise, please respond with kindness and a willingness to help others learn or just don't post.

And if you see something that is against the BYC rules, please use the report button instead of quoting and re-quoting.

That is what the Staff is here for.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Moderation
    BYC staff spend a TON of time and energy to keep the forum running smoothly. How BYC staff moderate is never a topic for open discussion on the forum. If you have any questions or feedback on moderation it should be addressed to the Administrator or the specific moderator via email or private message.
    * Do not post threads questioning moderation.
    * If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material. If you have any questions as to why a thread was closed or removed please contact a BYC staff member.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  9. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I remember (back in the day) they actually had roos and hen, old and young birds in the meat isle. Now the best you'll find are broilers, fryers, and young birds.

Cock-au-VIN just does NOT taste right with a young bird. And the texture is funky. This dish really needs that 10 yr old crusty, roo.

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    A lot of classic dishes, especially stew and soups, were based on older roos. Coc au vin, classic chicken soup, chicken paprickacas are all examples....so yes, freezer camp means you're going to dispatch and eat the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by