IS THIS A dwarf DUCK

shella

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2010
BATH
big_smile.png
i had some BEIs hatch on the 23rd of may.
they were all the same size born but after 3 days one was still the size of a newly hatched duckling
it has been 3 weeks and the little one hasn't grown at all
he/she is in with my new batch and they are a week old and its the same size as them
he/she is healthy otherwise has a slight in turn in his/her right leg but tearing up a storm with the
other chicks
its abit late but will post picks in the morning

These are my Black east indie ducklings.. All 3 hatched within the same 24 hours. The smallest one also came from the smallest egg.. I dont know if it is considered a dwarf or not.. Its cute though.. The other 2 were noticably bigger at hatch, but not like they are now..

54686_june9_2011_008.jpg

I was wondering the same thing about one of my ducks! She hatched with an underbite and is only about half the size of her brother and sister now. I'll post pics soon.
smile.png

Duckie on the left...
P1000290.jpg

Middle.
DSCF4086.jpg

DSCF4211.jpg

DSCF4204.jpg

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4516.jpg

So... Maybe she's not a Dwarf. Dad thinks she'd be smaller if she were a dwarf duck. But regardless, she's small and awkward and cute!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
here is my little duck they all came from the same batch of eggs i know that the two black ones are BEIs
is she/he a dwarf duck?

oooopppss lets try that again
frack can't do it
lets see if this works
70631_p1000688.jpg

70631_p1000681.jpg

70631_p1000685.jpg

ok thats the best i can do
hope you can see the size difference

I had that same thing happen. I hatched a few scovies in the incubator and one was tiny compared to the rest. He stayed small Nd it looked like he wasn't growing at all. I bought a fee scovie ducklings that were 2 weeks younger, and they were bigger!
Now he's about 7 weeks old, and it looks like he's catching up. Just a slow grower I guess, like some pig or cat litters have a runt
smile.png
he was my duck runt!

UPDATE
ming ming is still really small but thriving. i had to make a decision weather to let ming ming stay out side.
so i decided to let ming ming go. it was hard after babying her for so long and giving her vitamins and potions
but i had to think of her.
so i let her outside. straight way she was picked on and it took all of me not to run and bring her back in
after a couple of days she adapted. and is holding her own shes a feisty Little thing she runs the chickens and ducks now.
NO ONE MESSES WITH MING MING lol.
her feathers finally grew out and she is a beautifully looking B.E.I. she runs from me now so i will try to get some good pictures

big_smile.png
i had some BEIs hatch on the 23rd of may.
they were all the same size born but after 3 days one was still the size of a newly hatched duckling
it has been 3 weeks and the little one hasn't grown at all
he/she is in with my new batch and they are a week old and its the same size as them
he/she is healthy otherwise has a slight in turn in his/her right leg but tearing up a storm with the
other chicks
its abit late but will post picks in the morning
I also hatched a dwarf duck.
I am developing my own unique breed. I want the size of a Pekin, a crest, and looks like a Swedish Blue. There is a lot of inbreeding in my flock. This apparently white duckling is now 2 weeks and barely larger than the 1 week ducklings. His mom is probably a Pekin and his dad is probably the Alpha large mix. His delicate shanks are too short and bend inward. He trips over his own feet. His head and bill are normal size for a 2 week old but look huge on his little body. I wonder if all the inbreeding caused a genetic anomaly?
Gimpy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom