Is this a fair price for a Black Copper Maran ?

50.00 a chick, I would NEVER pay 50.00 for a BC Chick. I have BC Marans birds that come from Bev Davis and WJ C1 and C2 lines. I sell my chicks for 8.00 a piece. and my eggs are outstanding. I could see you paying 50.00 or more for a laying BC Marans Hen. But not for a chick.

Im getting some black copper maran chicks from a lady who is selling them to me for 3 dollars a chick and they lay nice dark brown eggs i guess im getting a great deal

That is similar to what hatcheries charge for straight run. I loved my black copper roos. My cousin borrowed one of them and fell in love with him because he is such a sweet heart so he wont be coming home and I lost the other to a predator but they were really great chickens.

Caroline

Shes not a hatcher she just in an area like me where theres not alot of supply and demand lol in excited to get them!!!

Quote: How do you know is a line is fair or good? I bought 2 broody hens and a BEAUTIFUL roo from a lady in town whom I found on Craigs list,,(for $50.00). I want to sell the chicks but don't know anything about their blood line, except that they are healthy, have feathers on the outside of their legs, and the roo is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! (I will send a photo is I have it in my 'puter, (I'm not at home at the moment.)) The eggs are not the very darkest I've seen, but I want to breed up.
I have 5 chicks and 10 more eggs in the incubator from them, so I know the produce healthy chicks.
Q: How do you know is a line is fair or good?
How do you breed UP!

You can see his blue wings on this photo

He knows hes a stud-muffin.

They are from dark laying lines. She has good birds. drom bought some chicks from hers and her eggs won a prize at the Fresno show I think... I got eggs from her and this is what my second generation pullets are laying right now...
grandeggs.jpg

Hers are the real deal. The price is high, but compared to feeding a whole flock of lesser layers and the work of "breeding up" without investing in some expensive stock to breed up with, what seems expensive is actually a bargain if you sharpen your pencil and put it to the paper and do the math, but only if you MUST have dark eggs and beautiful, gentle, healthy hens.

Edit to add... I don't think I would take $200 for one of my hens... even if you waved it under my nose... honestly, I don't think I would. They are exactly what i want and I have worked too hard to get them to the point they are.
They are dark but not $50 a chick dark, no.

My pullets lay darker eggs and I sell them for $35. Chicks are $10ea.

Back
Top Bottom