Is this a good number of eggs????

pouletdile

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
So my 20 hens started laying back on Oct. 15th. I'm now up to 181 eggs total since then. Is that a good amount? I think that comes out to about 5.3 per day average. First time with chix so not sure but it seems good to me.

For me I want more than that.I ended up buying 25 girl chicks from McMurray so I will have a good laying flock next spring.I have struggled for the past 3yrs.attempting to have more eggs.I hatch all my own eggs and have various breeds, but I too would have about 20-30 hens and maybe at best would get a dozen eggs a day.now I have about 25 pullets that are starting to lay they are mostly mixes but some good laying breeds as well and I am getting about 15-17 eggs per day the most I have ever gotten.All of these girls are from this spring hatches.My previous group who were not too good at laying also had egg eating problems so I got rid of all of them and started over.I now still have the 25 girl chicks from Mcmurray who are about 1m old as well as 25 various bantams that I hatched that are about 1.5m,and about 8 pullet bantams that are maybe 3.5m so all in all I should be getting a good amount of eggs by spring.My laying flock now are pullets I hatched this spring.

Back
Top Bottom