Is this a good number of eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pouletdile, Nov 17, 2010.

1. pouletdile

pouletdile Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    So my 20 hens started laying back on Oct. 15th. I'm now up to 181 eggs total since then. Is that a good amount? I think that comes out to about 5.3 per day average. First time with chix so not sure but it seems good to me.

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    For me I want more than that.I ended up buying 25 girl chicks from McMurray so I will have a good laying flock next spring.I have struggled for the past 3yrs.attempting to have more eggs.I hatch all my own eggs and have various breeds, but I too would have about 20-30 hens and maybe at best would get a dozen eggs a day.now I have about 25 pullets that are starting to lay they are mostly mixes but some good laying breeds as well and I am getting about 15-17 eggs per day the most I have ever gotten.All of these girls are from this spring hatches.My previous group who were not too good at laying also had egg eating problems so I got rid of all of them and started over.I now still have the 25 girl chicks from Mcmurray who are about 1m old as well as 25 various bantams that I hatched that are about 1.5m,and about 8 pullet bantams that are maybe 3.5m so all in all I should be getting a good amount of eggs by spring.My laying flock now are pullets I hatched this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by