Is this a good sign?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShelleyN, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    My 22-week BO was grabbed by a racoon last night. The dog interrupted the attack so she did not get carried off. She was in total shock until I started handling her this morning when she seemed to perk up. We did locate what I would call a sizeable hole on her underbelly however. I see viscera but no guts. I wouldn't be happy if it were me. We washed her in a warm water and peroxide bath and put her in the dog crate where she actually laid an egg. Is that a good sign at all, or just unstoppable timing for a youngster who has just started laying recently? She was eating and drinking earlier, but not so much now, and I see and eye starting to swell.

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Ahhh...so you see her internal organs but no guts? That doesn't make sense viscera are the guts [​IMG]

3. ShelleyN

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Sorry, I meant the lining or peritoneum, not the viscera itself. It looks white.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I would guess the egg was already half-way through the system, so it got laid despite the trauma. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the egg meant she was OK.

5. chickenbloomers

chickenbloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    I live in Missouri.
    I had a chicken attacked by a dog and got the skin ripped completely off her back, you could see fat and muscle. So I cleaned it with salt water and hydrogen peroxide and put her in a dog crate and cleaned out her crate several times a day.
    amazingly she got better.

6. ShelleyN

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I'm making another post to encourage other owners of attacked animals. This girl had a hole in her underneath about the size of a nickle and one under a wing and is making a recovery if you ask me. She has no idea why she has been locked up in the dog crate and wants to be out with her posse. She's scritching and acting normal. The only reason I'm not letting her out is for fear of flies taking advantage. I did get some Vetericyn gel and am aplying it...whenever I think about it. So far, so good.

7. chickenbloomers

chickenbloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    I live in Missouri.
    Glad to hear she's doing good!
    Chickens sure are tough birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by