Is this a good winter watering plan?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all!

It doesn’t get too cold here in south Louisiana, but when it does it DOES. I bought two of those black rubber feed pans for waterers for my bantam and standard flock, so I can pop ice out if they freeze. Both flocks have the standard issue Omlet rigid plastic waterers, and I really don’t want to crack them if it freezes. So, my plan is to put the plastic waterers away for the winter pretty soon and replace them with the rubber pans. Is there anything I missed with this plan?

I live in west TN and usually in Feburary it stays below freezing for a few days. I use metal mixing bowls and kitchen pots when it gets cold here lol, I bet those rubber ones will work well 👍 It sometimes gets cold enough that the waterers wont thaw out even when its above freezing but the bowls empty well.

I replace water in morning, and after work I bust em up or change them out again depending on what the weathers like. I found putting a piece of wood over most of the top and a cinder block on top of it will keep them from making a mess in the waterers, I give them about a 3-4in gap so they can still get their heads in the bowls

How often does water actually freeze where you are?

Is that often enough to weigh against the inconvenience of having to constantly clean open water pans that have been pooped in?

I have my flock on horizontal nipple waterers and, on the rare occasions that it gets below freezing, I just bring them in at night.

Last winter it never stayed below freezing all day so I didn't have to change watererers in the daytime, but I think it's easier to occasionally have to swap out a waterer for the one that's been sitting in the laundry room than to be cleaning out poopy water daily or twice daily all winter. :D

:goodpost:Agreed! I'm in Texas and it very rarely freezes here either(with the exception of that freak show business this last February :lau ) I also have the nipple waterers, and I would just go out with hot water and pour it in there to thaw it. They will poop, scratch dirt into, and tip over those rubber bowl, but it's completely up to you and what works best for you

How often does water actually freeze where you are?

Is that often enough to weigh against the inconvenience of having to constantly clean open water pans that have been pooped in?

I have my flock on horizontal nipple waterers and, on the rare occasions that it gets below freezing, I just bring them in at night.

Last winter it never stayed below freezing all day so I didn't have to change watererers in the daytime, but I think it's easier to occasionally have to swap out a waterer for the one that's been sitting in the laundry room than to be cleaning out poopy water daily or twice daily all winter. :D
That’s true. I was thinking about just putting out the pans when it truly will be sitting around freezing all day.

I live in west TN and usually in Feburary it stays below freezing for a few days. I use metal mixing bowls and kitchen pots when it gets cold here lol, I bet those rubber ones will work well 👍 It sometimes gets cold enough that the waterers wont thaw out even when its above freezing but the bowls empty well.

I replace water in morning, and after work I bust em up or change them out again depending on what the weathers like. I found putting a piece of wood over most of the top and a cinder block on top of it will keep them from making a mess in the waterers, I give them about a 3-4in gap so they can still get their heads in the bowls
I too live in west Tennessee. Ill be getting my chicks in May. I'm a newbie.lol..Being a 1st time chick mom I'm nervous about the whole thing. Any info is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom