Is this a healthy scab? Please help

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
Ok, just a heads up this is the second time I've posted this thread because i haven't gotten any replies on the first and i am really worried.
Ok so my favorite hen, Rosie, had bumblefoot which i treated with surgery. It went well and i removed all of the kernel i could see, and bandaged her up. I changed the bandage every other day and applied triple antibiotic ointment without pain medication every time i changed the bandage. Well i recently I've started worrying about the bumblefoot coming back, here is a picture of the scab that has formed, does it look healthy? I sent it to another woman who says it looks alright and her foot hasn't swollen at all since the surgery, she's not limping and is eating and drinking normal, scratching when i let them freerange being a chicken. Here is a picture of her foot now, the scab feels hard on the surface but i can feel soft flesh beneath

Ok, just a heads up this is the second time I've posted this thread because i haven't gotten any replies on the first and i am really worried.
Ok so my favorite hen, Rosie, had bumblefoot which i treated with surgery. It went well and i removed all of the kernel i could see, and bandaged her up. I changed the bandage every other day and applied triple antibiotic ointment without pain medication every time i changed the bandage. Well i recently I've started worrying about the bumblefoot coming back, here is a picture of the scab that has formed, does it look healthy? I sent it to another woman who says it looks alright and her foot hasn't swollen at all since the surgery, she's not limping and is eating and drinking normal, scratching when i let them freerange being a chicken. Here is a picture of her foot now, the scab feels hard on the surface but i can feel soft flesh beneath

The picture didn't attach.
IMG_20171205_115100.jpg

Looks like a healthy callus is forming. This what you see when a moist bandage is kept on. I would suggest apply a simply dry bandage-no ointment for the next few days and re-evaluate. Remember, this is a high pressure area and this type of lesions take time to heal. She might have a funky bump for several months. Don't forget to evaluate your hen's living conditions. Make sure she doesn't have to take giant leaps to the ground. Clean all roosting areas of feces.

Looks like a healthy callus is forming. This what you see when a moist bandage is kept on. I would suggest apply a simply dry bandage-no ointment for the next few days and re-evaluate. Remember, this is a high pressure area and this type of lesions take time to heal. She might have a funky bump for several months. Don't forget to evaluate your hen's living conditions. Make sure she doesn't have to take giant leaps to the ground. Clean all roosting areas of feces.

Ok thank you, I've been pacing by the window all day just watching her since she's my favorite. There aren't any high places to jump from and she sleeps in a nest box so she doesn't roost. I was planning on breaking the habit but then i found the infection and decided to wait until she was under less stress.

Back
Top Bottom