1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a hen or a roo - or has it not made up it's mind?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Plain Old Dee, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    This is my daughter's bird, "One-Eyed Jack." We have no idea what breed he/she is (would certainly like to know) We thought it was a roo, but he/she never crows and has never shown any interest in the hens. We put a real roo in the henhouse a couple of weeks ago. I expected a big fight and was prepared to intervene, but all they did was look at each other and ignored each other after that.

Today, my daughter was checking for eggs, and found Jack on a nest (he/she spends a lot of time in that nest). She found him/her sitting on an egg! We have no idea whether he/she actually laid the egg, but he/she got pretty upset when she took it. Is there such a thing as a broody rooster?[​IMG]

He/she does have itty bitty spurs and is about 7 - 8 months old or so.

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's definitely a roo.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I am new to chickens, but from other post that i have read he has saddle feathers so that makes him a roo, and I would say a chocin (sp) bantam. or EE bantam just my opinion and I am a newbie.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    o yea even I can see a Roo

5. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Will a roo sit on eggs? I've never heard of it before - but maybe he believes in equality of the sexes? [​IMG]

He was really upset when the egg was removed from the nest...

I wonder why he has no interest in the hens or the other rooster...

'Tis a puzzlement!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by