1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wyndski, Jun 28, 2011.

1. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I have 3 about 11 weeks. one I know is a girl, one I know is a roo (large RED comb and waddles) and the 3rd I am not sure. It has a comb and waddles but are not as large as the one I know is a roo and they are more pink.

This I know is Roo..
    [​IMG]

This one I am not sure.. what am I girl or boy???
    [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Boy.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Looks to me like the second one is a girl, but I'd get a second opinion. I'm still inexperienced.

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    really hard to tell cause the flash is So bright on the picture....I would say ROO though...
    A full body side shot, a top shot looking at the tail, and a better shot of comb and neck feathers would also help more.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm strongly leaning toward rooster, but better pics would help.

6. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Yeah I have been leaning towards a roo myself. they are silkie/WFBS mixes. I just haven't had a red single comb girl from the cross yet. the girls have so far had silkie combs or the last one thats in these 3 has a black single comb. I know hens on the wfbs side have large red combs and waddles, but not sure how early they get them. I will try and get better pictures tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by