Is this a hen or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fowlerfam, Mar 19, 2016.

1. fowlerfam

fowlerfam New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Springville, Utah
    We think this is a black Cochin. We thought "she" was a hen, but we've had the worst track record (out of the 5 "hens" we got last year they all turned out to be roosters except this one. the other ones were different breeds though and easier to distinguish). She does make kind of a "crowing" sound, and hasn't layed any eggs and she is almost a year old. Can you tell me? Hen or Rooster? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    That looks like a hen to me. But if it is "crowing" and not laying eggs at almost a year old, I might be wrong.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. likkatron

likkatron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    For being almost a year old if it was a pullet she should be laying, though if she's stressed, or for other reasons, it could prevent her from laying. If this was a cockerel the comb and wattles should already be 2 or 3 times the size. Have you seen her/he mounting other chickens, are you 100% she/he is crowing (though I know rarely hens can crow). There are other rooster behaviors like finding food for hens and making a clicking noise that basically means "I found food", and danger clucks, AND roosters do dance for hens. Any of this? I really am stumped, a cockerel at this age should have a much more developed comb and wattles, but a hen should be laying..

4. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    She looks like a hen to me. It looks like she gets to enjoy some free ranging! Perhaps she is hiding her eggs somewhere other than a nest box. I occasionally find eggs hidden in my barn or under a bush or the porch.

5. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    It's hard to tell but I think it's a hen. If it's crowing though then it's a cockeral.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a hen to me.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How often does it crow?? Does it try to breed any hens??? I'd say hen but, the crowing troubles me

8. fowlerfam

fowlerfam New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Springville, Utah
    It doesn't have a real crow, more sounds like it's trying to crow, but does't know how. It is the only one we have left, so I don't know if it would try to breed around other hens. My husband pointed out that it is actually only about 10 months old, so maybe we need to just give it a little more time. And we did leave her/him out all winter, so maybe she is getting over the stressful winter. It is starting to warm up though.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She is a lovely Cochin. Cochin can take a while to start laying. But you may want to start observing her behavior in the mornings. She may be hiding eggs from you. And get her some friends, soon.

10. fowlerfam

fowlerfam New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Springville, Utah
    Will she do okay around little chicks if we were to get a couple more this spring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by