Is this a joke...Neutering a Rooster?

KRZ4CKNS

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 11, 2010
While talking about my chickens at work on Friday one of the men in my crew mentioned when he was young his father neutered the Roosters resulting in a very large adult Roo to feed his very large Filipino family. I told my co-worker I had never heard of neutering a Rooster and would ask my BYC Friend's.
Just sounds like a crazy joke being pulled on me for bragging about my chickens?

In years past this was a very common practice and it resulted in a bird referred to as a capon. Since it is a very intense surgical procedure with a high mortality it is seldom done today. The introduction of the newly developed fast growing breeds has just about ended the procedure.

He's telling you the truth. Do a search for "capon".
smile.png

Here's one link to CAPON .

Ed

I am afraid I will be horrified at searching caponizing but I would keep my roos more if I COULD neuter them(they like to become boogers) we've had to eat the 3 we had. too bad its a difficult procedure.

Thank you for your answers and the link (very interesting) I never knew sounded like a joke.... I was beginning to think I had bragged about my chickens a little to much!

You can find capons referred to as far back as the 14th Century, it was a very common practice in the past. Capons were the preferred way of eating chickens because you didn't want to eat a hen that was laying and even then you couldn't have too many roosters in the same flock.

This has always led me to believe that there has got to be a way to do it that isn't as complicated as it is made to be modernly.

OH Opa's avatar, oh me.
love.gif

But, umm, back on subject. They do sell caponizing kits, it sounds surgical, but not so complicated. Makes a nice fat bird when finished out. Now, if you can remove his crow box too at the same time. The roos are so pretty, it would be nice to keep more of them around if they didn't fight so much.

Back
Top Bottom