Is this a laying disorder or am I just missing something?

DaviJones

Songster
Nov 7, 2017
South Western, AZ
My Easter Egger hen was acting differently yesterday. She jumped on the coop perch and just stayed there for an hour or 45 minutes and then went and squatted in the nesting box like she was about to lay an egg for a bit. I gave her some oyster shell and Pedialyte. Then a warm water bath with abdominal massage for 15 minutes. I put her in a box with heat lamp and shaving's where she did the same squatting. I also used gloves to insert my fingers to check for an egg, but didn't feel anything within 2 inches about, put some petroleum jelly in and around nevertheless. I haven't seen her eat or drink much other than the Pedialyte but her crop had a bit in it when I brought her inside. I took a picture of her abdomen which looked to be bulging but that may be because she's molting and it's not covered under feathers. I also took a picture of a poo she passed, most of them are like that, some solid fecal matter with liquid that is either somewhat yellow tinged or clear.
Snapchat-1181086574.jpg

Snapchat-1783053241.jpg

Any help's greatly appreciated! Oh and the warm water bath was about five hours ago

I also forgot to add, she hadn't laid for maybe a week before she started her molt if it helps any, she usually goes no more than 3 days, 4 days once, but it could've just been the molt

Last edited:
Bumping because I posted at an ungodly hour. She's a bit more active today, but she hasn't passed an egg, with the color of the feces I'm guessing internal laying maybe?
@casportpony @centrarchid @aart
I was planning on during another massage and checking again when I got home. Should I make a vet appointment I just found one who looks promising in ways of treating chickens.

Last edited:
If you have vet care that's always best.

Swelling of the abdomen would indicated a reproductive problem-internal laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis are all common in laying hens.

Most molting hens usually do not lay eggs.
Is she still able to poop?
You can try soaking her again in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that makes her more comfortable.
http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/

Back
Top Bottom