Is This A Lilac??? (Added New Pics!)

I am not sure, but maybe a wild dogwood bush? The leaves looks like it, I will grab a branch tomorrow and compare with your pictures. They grow wild here, and my chickens loves the berries.

Not a lilac nor a nightshade--which is an annual anyway. Looks to be a vine-type I'm guessing but suspect it is honeysuckle or wisteria vine--I have both and just checked the leaves. They will take a few years to bloom once planted but if blooming size would have done so by now. I'm including a photo I took of where the two types of vines have intertwined, you may be able to see enough of the leaves to make a comparison. Of course, it may be just a weed plant but, given the size, I suspect it was planted as a seedling at least two years ago.

62375_img_2266.jpg

BTW, there are a few "sports: of the honeysuckle that have different colored flowers but leaves will match.

Last edited:
woodmort....actually the nightshade around here is a perrenial...I wish it were an annual...might be easier to erradicate if it were.

"Atropa belladonna is a branching herbaceous perennial, often growing as a subshrub, from a fleshy rootstock."

If it turns out to be a honeysuckle or wisteria vine...that would be really nice.

Laura...I know according to the pics on that site even they look different from what I see in my backyard...it's amazing how the plant can look so many different ways. One of the pics it really looks woody but in fact...they are stems covered in leaves....the new growth will be on a soft stem and the old growth toward the ground is hard stem. The berries and flowers have not come out yet on mine....wich is good because I don't want them to...I want to pull them before the berries come so no birdy decides to have lunch and poo some more and make new growth.

I am curious though because I've run across something that looks like that...I too was almost wondering about one of the dogwoods...especially with that pic of the base.

I hope it does something soon so we know what it is.

aah ha!

Well, I have learned something knew today. So the "deadly" nightshade is different from the "bittersweet" nightshade but still are both poisonous and have caused death to livestock, pets, and children.

This is what I have.

Look at this picture and note the stems.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environme...nightshade_bittersweet_patch_kulak_ac_be.ashx

This is definately what I have...

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environme...imagesM_N/nightshade_bittersweet_Cornell.ashx

about and the website I got pics:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/environme...ed-identification/bittersweet-nightshade.aspx

hmmm....I wonder what yours is because I swear I've seen it before and pulled it not knowing what it was but knowing it was a transplant.

Quote:
It just doesn't look like any of those pics to me. Also, woodmort said it looks like a vine. Maybe I need to get a better picture of it, because it doesn't seem like a vine to me, it looks more like a bush. The branches are flexible, but strong. It's mixed in with other plants and making no attempt to attach or curl around anything. It may not be a lilac, but so far a lilac is the closest thing I can compare it to, in branch style, and base style. Doesn't look like either of woodmorts pics either, the leaves of one are too narrow and the other too broad. But I do agree it appears to be something that was planted as a seedling. It doesn't look wild. I'll try to get some better pics today showing the whole thing better. By the way, I've had wisteria, it's definitely not that. I wish it was, they're pretty!

It looks like a bleeding heart vine. They do not like cold, but it may have come up from root last year and never got a chance to do anything either. I have to cut mine back like kudzu.

I do not know if they even survive that far north.
But that's what it looks like to me...Never left the state and dies when it is below twenty- me.

Could it be a milkweed vine?

Well, I went out and grabbed the branches of two different dogwood bushes that grow wild here, a redtwig dogwood, and the "browntwig" dogwood. (I do not know the proper name for it, so I will call it "browntwig" for now.
big_smile.png
) Anyway the browntwig dogwood matches your mystery bush! I will try to take pictures of it fully grown with the berries today. The chickens goes nuts for them! I have tried it before and its very bitter!
sickbyc.gif
Wonder how they like it.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Hmmm... I have a bleeding heart plant, although it's not a "vine", it's more like a small shrub type plant. It looks nothing like my bleeding hearts, unless you are referring to a different type that I'm not familiar with. No, not milkweed. I have milkweed kicking around and it looks nothing like that either. Unless you are referring to a different type of milkweed too, LOL. I've never seen milkweed in vine form either. It's always a plant that sticks straight up. At least the kind I've seen.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom