Is this a little roo practicing his crow?

- Serama Mama -

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello everyone 👋

I'm onto my third hatch, 3 days into incubation, and still tending to the little guys from the first 2 hatches.

I had noticed the duckwing from the first hatch had made a similar noise around a week and a half after hatching but I wasn't able to record it. Thankfully, Merry (of Merry and Pippin, two who hatched looking exactly alike) has been making this sound non-stop since he figured out he could do it. His comb is also larger, pinker, and he's gotten bigger than Pippin since they hatched.

So here is the little short video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JPf8ocnYsBaYwpZp9

I have about 6 more videos of him making that exact same little trilling noise. The duckwing that did it last time definitely turned out to be a roo but most of what I've read says that they don't practice crowing until later so I'm just wondering if I'm correct in assuming that's what this little noise is.

Certainly looks like it to me. You can see it build up and he gets all ready to crow just like an adult rooster. He’s crazy cute btw :love

Oh, how cool! I was just making a somewhat educated guess but now that I rewatch it, you're right, I can see him making the little body movements that accompany the sound.

Thank you so much for the response! My friend and I are actually doing a YouTube channel about the incubation process (*my son's class didn't get to hatch chicks this year, like every other kindergarten class at the school has gotten to, due to the cancellation of schools so we decided to do it at home) and I wanted to be able to include other little videos and informational tidbits throughout the lessons so I just want to be sure I'm giving out accurate information.

IMG_20200601_194030117.jpg

This is Pippin, btw

IMG_20200601_194126523.jpg

And that's Merry when he's not attempting to crow 😊 I'm thinking we may have to switch the names around now, haha.

Back
Top Bottom