Is this a lump on my hen?

Vugaris

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Hello all. This is a hen that wandered into my yard a few days ago. She seems in alright condition other than this odd looking lump type thing on her back. I am not really sure what to think

I have captured her and plan to keep her; she is a nice tempered bird and is very used to people.

Is it alright to post a photo in this section?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome to BYC. You can post a pic in any section. It will be needed if you want an answer.
smile.png

Ok thank you guys. I just wanted to make sure. Some forums are really strict about which sections get photos

Here is the hen. You can see the lump on her back. She does not appear to be missing feathers there, but it is really hard to tell what is going on.

She also does not want to go inside a coop
big_smile.png
She was used to roosting in a pine tree, and will only roost up high

IMG_7943.jpg

Not sure what it feels like. I myself, having not owned chickens before, did not know how to pick her up properly so I had my friend who works on a farm pick her up and give her a check over

I will see if I can hold her tomorrow and examine it closer

here are two more views

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

Last edited:
If that feels "fleshy", it could be an inflamed oil gland, which is located in that region, but it just looks in the pic like she has some missing feathers right in front of the "cushion" area in front of the tail, which make it seem as though she has a lump, sort of an optical illusion.

Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I am hoping she is in fact just missing some feathers. She is a really nice hen that someone lost. Her eyes seem clear and she seems fit

Back
Top Bottom